Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Wallpaper Changing Software for Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi:

My sister recently purchased one of those all-in-one computers by Dell(thought it was HP) and it came preinstalled with Windows 8. 

She used to have windows XP, which is what I still have and we both had this FREE little piece of software installed called powertoys wallpaper changer.  In my opinion it is a really cool piece of software that allows one to change your desktop background picture from anywhere to 15 minutes to 2 weeks as well allowing one to only view certain images on special days(Christmas etc.).  Unforunately, powertoys wallpaper changer doesn't work on Windows 8 because I installed it and it did nothing and I am totally disgusted about this development. :angry:

Yes, I know about the background thiga-ma-bob that Windows 8 has but that isn't the same.  I don't want a slide show I want something will allow me the same capabilities that the powertoys wallpaper changer did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Linettelindholm

Linettelindholm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I don't know any programs that changes it automatically but if you download like 5 pictures, place them in the same map and then right-click on ur desktop > personalize > desktop background > browse (map with pictures) and click select all and change the time from 10 seconds up to 1 day. Other than that, nope sorry.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

There are quite a few sites that have wallpaper for Windows 8, just google wallpaper downloads for Windows 8.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

I would try re-installing the program using Windows Compatibility Mode. Right click the installer program, click "Troubleshoot compatibility", then when the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter window pops up, click the bottom option "Troubleshoot program."  Check the box "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" then click Next. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and then click Next. The program should start installing now.

After installing, you might have to repeat the same process by finding the program executable file ("program.exe"), right click and follow the "Troubleshoot compatibility" process again.

No guarantees though, not all programs will run even in Compatibility Mode (but worth a shot!).

-- Matt

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

I know how much you liked your Powertoys Wallpaper Changer and I wish I had a magic button to make it work for you in Windows 8, but the good news is that someone has come up with a nice list of 12 alternatives to Powertoys.

Here's hoping one of them will satisfy you.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 mahendru1992

mahendru1992

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

I use John's background switcher. I love it. Give it a try if you want to - http://johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/

#7 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

I don't know any programs that changes it automatically but if you download like 5 pictures, place them in the same map and then right-click on ur desktop > personalize > desktop background > browse (map with pictures) and click select all and change the time from 10 seconds up to 1 day. Other than that, nope sorry.

Hi Linettelindholm:

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

There are quite a few sites that have wallpaper for Windows 8, just google wallpaper downloads for Windows 8.

dc3:

I already have tons of wallpapers all I need is a wallpaper changer. :)

I would try re-installing the program using Windows Compatibility Mode. Right click the installer program, click "Troubleshoot compatibility", then when the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter window pops up, click the bottom option "Troubleshoot program."  Check the box "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" then click Next. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and then click Next. The program should start installing now.

After installing, you might have to repeat the same process by finding the program executable file ("program.exe"), right click and follow the "Troubleshoot compatibility" process again.

No guarantees though, not all programs will run even in Compatibility Mode (but worth a shot!).

Kokomodrums:

I thank you I will give this a try. :)

I use John's background switcher. I love it. Give it a try if you want to - http://johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/

Hi mahendru1992: I am familiar with john’s background switcher and if I remember correctly don’t you have to use stuff from sites on the internet?  Just looked it up and I see that you can also use stuff on your computer too.  However, what I loved about Powertoys is that I could change my photo’s anywhere from every 15 minutes to once a week.  I also had the option to put certain photos into the folder files so that on days leading up to special days ie holidays etc. I would only see those pictures. :)

I know how much you liked your Powertoys Wallpaper Changer and I wish I had a magic button to make it work for you in Windows 8, but the good news is that someone has come up with a nice list of 12 alternatives to Powertoys.

Here's hoping one of them will satisfy you.

Rockysousa: :hello:

Yes, I really do love my powertoys and so did my sister.    It’s just nice having that option to personalize your computer apps and desktop etc. exactly the way you want.

Thank you for all your suggestions and finds.  I am familiar with webshots as I used to have that on my computer years ago.

I will definitely check out the software you mentioned and do some test in my virtual machine just to make sure they work before putting them on my sister’s machine as I don’t want to screw her computer up with some bad software.

Speaking of bad software, I absolutely HATE the way media player looks now.  I noticed so-called improved version first in Windows 7 and now in Windows 8.1  It is so bland and boring.  I loved how I could change the colors of Media player way back with Windows XP etc.  I used to change the color according to what ever color took my fancy on any given day and now that is impossible. 

I’m all for technological advances…except when they take away the consumer’s right to make changes they like.  :(

Thanks to all who replied to my post it is very much appreciated.  :thumbup2:

Edited by lapetite66, 10 September 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#8 mahendru1992

mahendru1992

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

Hmm well if you want to do that, you can simply select a group of photos that you want to for that special holiday week=>right click=>click on set as background. Now the pictures will revolve every 10-15 minutes. You can change the timing too from the personalize section. It's the unsaved theme. In fact I find this more convenient than using any software. But this is just My Opinion.

As for the music player, I suggest you use MusicBee. It's a  really good free music player which also has tons of themes. It's a pretty good player IMO.

Here's the link :  http://getmusicbee.com/

#9 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

what I do to have my wallpaper change all the time, I google around for a wallpaper pack, like 1000 1080p Abstract wallpapers, download that. place into a folder, then I just windows 8 rotate through all the wallpapers.

#10 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

what I do to have my wallpaper change all the time, I google around for a wallpaper pack, like 1000 1080p Abstract wallpapers, download that. place into a folder, then I just windows 8 rotate through all the wallpapers.

Hi muzramp:

Right now I have enough pictures that I could go a whole year without seeing the same picture (if I chose the once a day option) but thanks! :)

#11 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hmm well if you want to do that, you can simply select a group of photos that you want to for that special holiday week=>right click=>click on set as background. Now the pictures will revolve every 10-15 minutes. You can change the timing too from the personalize section. It's the unsaved theme. In fact I find this more convenient than using any software. But this is just My Opinion.

As for the music player, I suggest you use MusicBee. It's a  really good free music player which also has tons of themes. It's a pretty good player IMO.

Here's the link :  http://getmusicbee.com/

mahendru1992:

Going by your last post in the above mentioned quote, I'm assuming your not talking about the background switcher anymore but are referring to Windows 8's background thingy???  I will have to check that out. 

As for the media player I don't know if I want to download yet another player.   Dammit!  I just want to be able to customize my player the way I want.  Dam Microsoft for f****** up my grove :ranting: !!!

Thanks for the suggestions and the link! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users