Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Must-have softwares for protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yongwang87

yongwang87

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Hi fellow bleepers, looking for some suggestions and advice!

I just installed win7 on my macbook pro, bootcamping so I can use all my necessary softwares while on the go! After installing a few weeks ago, my windows side is running into problems... for one, the internet browsers just don't work despite the fact that I'm connected and the Mac side works just fine. I am resolving that issue separately in this forum, but in general I feel my PC (side) is very vulnerable. 

My question is, what are some key softwares (preferably free) that I should install on my windows side to prevent spyware / malware from infecting my computer? I've only installed "360 total security", but now I think this is not enough. 

Thanks for your suggestions! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

I assume "360 total security" is something from norton/symantec antivirus ? If so it will be fairly good for your primary antivirus but you need some other stuff to supplement it. Malwarebytes (free) provides a good scanner, you can run it every few days to check nothing got past your main antivirus. This site also contains a few useful security tools "eset online scanner" (available from the downloads section somewhere here) is another good second opinion scanner, "securitycheck" and "minitoolbox" help you to check on basic computer specifics (like listing all your programs and telling you if you are running out of date java/flash player/browser  ) which are relevant to security. Don't try running two or more antiviruses with real-time protection as they will simply attack each other, imagine having two guard dogs each trained to "attack and stop anything that looks fierce". other things to do to protect yourself is avoid internet explorer and use chrome or firefox instead, and remove java from your computer. if you have installed chrome you can also uninstall adobe flash player (chrome contains it's own version) and adobe reader (once again chrome can do it's job). To avoid getting infected by online adverts (most of them are just ways of handing out malware rather than getting people to buy things) you can use "noscript" with firefox for extra protection on sites with lots of adverts. Another second/third/fourth opinion scanner to consider is "kaspersky virus removal tool", but with all virus removal/detection tools other than your main antivirus and malwarebytes make sure to run them in "prompt on detection" rather than "disinfect automatically" mode. letting them disinfect automatically risks letting them damage something before you've had a chance to check if it is really an infection or just a false positive. everything i listed is free, as are some primary antiviruses if you ever need to replace norton.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 yongwang87

yongwang87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

rp88 Thanks for the info!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro.

I also recommend using SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol.

For a list of other security tools and resources, please refer to:
* Bleeping Computer's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
* Bleeping Computer's List of Anti-virus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 yongwang87

yongwang87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

Amazing Quietman7, thanks!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

rp88,  360 Total Security is not a Norton Product. 

http://360safe.com/totalsecurity.html

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 September 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

Amazing Quietman7, thanks!

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016