Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder I Can't Delete

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

I have this folder titled "Complete" in my hard drive. I noticed it while running a virus scan. It contained over 30,000 files and was about 20 GB big!!! However, when I try to find the folder to delete it, it never appears, even when I tell Windows to display hidden folders. The only other alternative I could think of would be to drag and select files and delete them that way. That would take way too long with 30,000 files, though.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to find and delete this folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

Some of the file may be password protected or in use. What I do in situations like this is:

Open up the folder and select a rather large number of program/files and delete them. Repeat this process until you deleted every program/file in the folder. Sometimes you will get some sort of an error saying that a certain file couldn't be deleted, right done its name and continue on with the rest of them. After a short while, you should only end up with the ones that can't be deleted. I use Unlocker in this situation, but here's another method in case you don't want to use Unlocker. Try renaming all of the folders to some random jibberish. Then cut and paste them onto your desktop, and then cut and paste them into your Recycling Bin. Empty the recycling bin and bam goes your problem. Now the folder itself should be empty and unable to resist deletion.

You could also try Killbox to remove the file.

Edited by Elendil, 06 June 2006 - 02:03 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Bladerunr

Bladerunr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

Another thing you could try is to end all running process and see if it lets you delete the folder. If this does not work boot into safe mode and logon using the administrator account you will see in safe mode then delete the folder and reboot back into your normal account.

This might work for you if all else has failed. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Removed URL to commercial site. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 June 2006 - 11:32 PM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

The folder Complete is a folder that is used by Limewire and also someother networking programs like Limewire. It is in use because it's mother program is running in the background. Find the program that is running and shut it down and then you can delete the directory until you run the program again.

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

Now that further info has been given by ThorXP the problem has now revealed itself, Limewire. While some people will disagree (most of the security experts here won't though), Limewire isn't a safe practice. P2P sharing programs can be rather malicious and Limewire, in my opinion, is one of the major baddys. My solution to this problem:

Open up your control panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Limewire -> Remove

Follow up by scanning for malware that may have been contracted while using Limewire using the amazing, Ewido Anti-Malware Program. This program will be installed in its 14-day trial mode. Once the trial is up, Ewido will automatically convert to its free version which is equally powerful. After uninstalling Limewire and scanning with Ewido, the "Complete" folder's barricade is now shattered and it should be easy to remove.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users