Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERAntiSpyware - Still well thought of?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 forgiven57

forgiven57

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

Some years ago, at the advice of someone here on the forum far wiser than I, I installed SUPERAntiSpyware.

I run it weekly and it usually finds about 300 items of spyware that need to be removed. Recently, a knowledgeable friend of mine suggested that the program is spyware itself. He said that what it finds probably wasn't really there to begin with. I just bought a new tower, a Dell XPS 8700, so I am trying to decide if I should install SUPERAntiSpyware on the Dell.

Also, the Dell comes with 6 months of Webroot antiVirus. What would you suggest that I use for an antiVirus after the 6 month trial is over?

Please excuse my ignorance. I did search for recent posts regarding SUPERAntiSpyware. None of them seemed to be anything like an endorsement. I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in assisting me.

I can do well that which I can do. But beyond that, as Tennessee Williams said, "Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." - A Streetcar Named Desire

Heartfelt thanks,

Paul

Posted Image

John 11:40

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

i have used SUPERanitspyware for years now. i have never had any issues with it and i usually use it for coockies removal. iv had my computer for about 6 years and no issues

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Some years ago, at the advice of someone here on the forum far wiser than I, I installed SUPERAntiSpyware.

I run it weekly and it usually finds about 300 items of spyware that need to be removed. Recently, a knowledgeable friend of mine suggested that the program is spyware itself. He said that what it finds probably wasn't really there to begin with. I just bought a new tower, a Dell XPS 8700, so I am trying to decide if I should install SUPERAntiSpyware on the Dell.

Also, the Dell comes with 6 months of Webroot antiVirus. What would you suggest that I use for an antiVirus after the 6 month trial is over?

Please excuse my ignorance. I did search for recent posts regarding SUPERAntiSpyware. None of them seemed to be anything like an endorsement. I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in assisting me.

I can do well that which I can do. But beyond that, as Tennessee Williams said, "Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." - A Streetcar Named Desire

Heartfelt thanks,

Paul

SAS is not spyware. But the 300 items of spyware you are talking about are just tracking cookies. They are not harmful. I don't use SAS anymore because when I tried to update SAS a few months ago, it removed itself from my PC. If that's what they want, I don't need it. I still use Malware Bytes as an on demand scanner. I think SAS is a moderately useful product if you want to get rid of tracking cookies. But I have other ways to get rid of cookies and I'm not sure SAS is useful for anything else. I don't miss it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Recently, a knowledgeable friend of mine suggested that the program is spyware itself. He said that what it finds probably wasn't really there to begin with. 

Some friend...I think I'd reevaluate the extents and depths of his knowledge concerning computers, malware, and system defense programs :).

Louis

#5 forgiven57

forgiven57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Recently, a knowledgeable friend of mine suggested that the program is spyware itself. He said that what it finds probably wasn't really there to begin with. 

Some friend...I think I'd reevaluate the extents and depths of his knowledge concerning computers, malware, and system defense programs :).

Louis

I was skeptical when he told me this. I sort of filed it away for future reference, but obviously didn't delete SAS on his recommendation. He is more knowledgeable than I am; but working on computers is just a bit more than a hobby. I thank you all for your assessments and advice.

I think if I had been about 5 years older when personal computers first became available/popular, I would have been one of those old fellas that never saw a need to get one. My grasp of tech has always been a bit tenuous. I was blessed to find this forum and have been helped by it quite a few times. You guys kept me from giving up and throwing a laptop in the trash once.

Sincere thanks,

Paul

Posted Image

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use as getting a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled. During installation you can uncheck any offers to upgrade to the paid version or for free toolbars if you do not want them.

When installing SUPERAntiSpyware choose Custom Install and uncheck the option to install Google Chrome if you don't want it. After setup completes you may be offered to use the Trial Pro version. If you do not want it, be sure to decline the offer when prompted. Also when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. If you right-click on the tray icon, select System Tools & Program Settings to open Control Panel and click Preferences...there is an option to uncheck "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" under the General and Startup tab.

SUPERAntiSpyware will scan for cookies if you have it configured to do so and may show them as (numerous) threat detections. There is no need to do this since cookies are not a "threat". Anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for, so I would recommend disabling the option to search for cookies which will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan.

You can ignore scanning for cookies by changing the settings. To do that, launch SUPERAntiSpyware.
1. From the Main Menu or system tray icon, select System Tools & Program Settings.
2. Click Preferences.
3. Under Scanning Control/Options, uncheck the box Scan for tracking cookies.
4. Click the Back button on the bottom, then click Home to return to the Main Menu and then select Scan your Computer...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:15 PM

Some friend...I think I'd reevaluate the extents and depths of his knowledge concerning computers, malware, and system defense programs

I still install and use S.A.S. as it is still updated on a regular basis, and (although quieter) the forum was once quite busy.

I was, and still remain a forum member there.

But I still prefer to use MBAM as a prime detection tool -

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:06 AM

I forgot to mention that v6 was released 07/29/14 and there have been a lot of reported issues with it. As such, SUPERAntiSypware has been updated several times since then in order to fix/iron out the reported bugs.

#9 forgiven57

forgiven57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thank you all very much!

- Paul

Posted Image

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users