Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to uninstall Avira free antivirus on Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AB Marshall

AB Marshall

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

Currently I have free versions of Avast & Avira installed. I suspect Avira is not working properly though it resists all my attempts to completely uninstall it. I've used Revo's uninstaller. Revo shows two icons; one for Avira & one for Avira Free Antivirus. In Vista's control panel Programs & Features it has the same two icons. The Control Panel page shows an icon for Avira Free Antivirus. In Program Files there is an Avira folder w/two folders; AntiVirDesktop & My Avira.

Whatever is on my laptop it's very persistent. Thanks in advance for any help with removal.

Auburn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

How do I uninstall my Avira product?
Instructions for manual uninstallation of Avira

It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

In many cases anti-virus vendors also provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall so always check there first.

Avira Download Center: Avira RegistryCleaner <- removes all registry entries (leftovers) created by Avira products
Avira RegistryCleaner Download

Also see the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 AB Marshall

AB Marshall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, Bleepin' Janitor. I was able to completely remove Avira. Unfortunately afterwards there was another problem.

Using Safe Mode I stopped Avira applications. Still in Safe Mode, using Revo, Avira was successfully, completely removed.

But then I wasn't able to get online. This is on Vista w/Firefox browser.

I did a System Restore to get online. So Avira is also back on.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

I never heard of a loss of Internet connection happening when following those instructions. Did you run the Avira RegistryCleaner?

If none of this is working then I suggest you contact and Ask Avira.
Avira Support for Free & Paid Products
Avira Support Forum
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 AB Marshall

AB Marshall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Thanks again. I may try Avira's Support Forum. For now I'll just leave Avira on my laptop. It doesn't seemed to be causing any issues though it also never detected a single threat. Hopefully in time I will be able to uninstall this application.

I tried three more times to uninstall Avira and, yes, I did run the recommended Avira Registry Cleaner. In each case, whether the uninstall results were complete or partial, there was always a glitch using the internet (Firefox & IE). So I'm going through my operating system, software, & internet settings to see if the problem is there.

I was able to completely uninstall Avira & still use the internet, but that was only in the same session. Once I logged off & logged on again, I was unable to connect to the web.

In my most recent attempt I performed a moderate setting uninstall w/REVO, ran the Avira Registry Cleaner & it worked to a point; Avira is no longer listed in REVO or in Windows Control Panel Programs & Features. Yet the C drive still has program files in an Avira/AviraVir Desktop subfolder.

Thanks again,

AB

I'll post here if I find a solution.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

You're welcome and good luck.