Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Max load?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sogin

Sogin

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

So, this keeps happening to me in all my games..RE6...Saints row IV..Batman Arkham City, my CPU reaches like 90 one core. 98 another. 87. 95..Well, you get the point. It causes stutters in cutscenes and small slowdowns in gameplay. Originally I thought it was my GPU bottlenecking since it was a GTX 645 with an i7 4770 which is a decently strong CPU and the GTX 645 was shooting to 99% as well...So, I replaced the GTX 645 with a GTX 760 OC with a Corsair 750W CX50M PSU.  now my GPU is stable, but my CPU is still leaping bounds...I have friends whom play this game on the same CPU/GPU and their CPU load does not reach over 60%...Does anybody have any advice for me as to what would cause this? It's a pre-built Dell XPS 8700..So, I dunno if they do something to the bios or what..Drivers are all up to date, Bios, Video, Audio. So on.

Edited by Sogin, 03 September 2014 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

what do you have for software running in the background? chat programs, firewall, etc.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Windows Firewall is on just by default, other than that nothing really. My Virus protection is Microsoft Security Essentials because I heard it was one of the least offensive. Other than that just my game launcher(Steam.) My Audio Driver...And that's 'bout it. Nothing special or taxing. Oh, and the driver for my Logitech G600 mouse..But, doubt that has anything to do with it. Lol

Edited by Sogin, 03 September 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

is this a recent problem, or has it been that way since the last installation of windows?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dgreeno

dgreeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

It may sound a little bone, but may I suggest dropping the graphics settings 

It may be that your graphics card isn't up to scratch as well. 

#6 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

GTX 760 vs those games?. Appreciate the attempt dgreeno, but nah.  And @ Patriot It's kind of hard for me to tell, I've always had stutters in my cutscenes/slowdowns. But, I never used to monitor my hardware. So, I can't say if it's always happened, I can only assume so since the slowdowns were always there.

#7 dgreeno

dgreeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

Another stab is that could the game files be corrupt some way? 

Modding/scratched disk ect. if it's been happening for some time with those specs. 

Edited by dgreeno, 04 September 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#8 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hmm, Disk free since in Steam, No modding ever done, games were un and reinstalled, Problem still persists. Though, one thing I think would help is updating my Chipset driver as I am trying to do so. But I get a list of 3 Chipsets for my Build from Dell and I cannot figure out which one is mine since they do not match the name of my Chipset.

#9 dgreeno

dgreeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

Tried downloading then verify-ing the integrity of the cache? I had this issue with boarderlands 2, that put it bang to rights, at 1st i thought it was by less that powerful rig, but it solved it. 

#10 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yep, tried those, still happened. Lol

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Can you verify that it is indeed the game using that much of the cpu? If you monitor using task manager sort by cpu usage and see what is happening. Do you use fraps or any other capture device while playing? Those are known to use a lot of cpu as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#12 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Nope, the only thing I used was MSI afterburner to see the usage which would put some stress on the CPU but not near enough given the power the i7 is supposed to have, the game should take me to 60% that would give over 40% free, Afterburner does not use that much. the game appears in task manager using a lot, yes. But even installing a program takes my CPU to 60%...This is an i7..It should not even come close to these loads. At this point I'm about ready to make this Dell's headache. =P[Warranty] My fuse is too short for this.

Edited by Sogin, 04 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

Are you running any raid setup or ssd?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

A speccy report might help:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

#15 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ldrybhZhYIuhnPks6LhjNzR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users