Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some websites don't load

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pureekonijn

Pureekonijn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I've the issue stated in the title. Some websites load and others time out. I've been googling for two days trying all sorts of solutions but none of it helped. Before I just wipe and reinstall Windows I want to try this as a last resort, partly because I'm not even convinced it's actually in the computer itself. Here's what I know so far:

- The problem started at an indefinate time: it's the computer of my parents and they can't tell me more than "it suddenly stopped!"

- The pages that aren't loading don't share any commons grounds: they're news pages, forums, secured websites, a bit of everything.

- Some pages load slowly instead of not at all.

- The computer runs on Windows 7 Home edition and is up to date.

- The computer is wired to a switch which leads into a router, which connects to the modem.

- The problem occurs with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox.

- The problem is not affecting any other computers on the same network.

- I can ping some of the "unreachable" websites just fine. Typing in their IP address does not load the page.

I've tried the following things that didn't work:

- Deleting temporary internet files and resetting safety settings to normal.

- Disabling the firewall

- Clearing the DNS cache

- Giving the computer a static IP address

- Changing the DNS server manually (to that of google: 8.8.8.8)

- Uninstalling and reinstalling browsers and related applications like Flash and Java.

- Disabling all startup programs except for Windows services.

- Disabling the virus scanner.

- Using safe mode with networking.

- Using a system restore point from several months ago.

- Logging in to the router to see if something was blocking it there.

- Scanning for virusses and malware, and using a cleaning program.

- The suggestions listed in the sticky of this forum for getting access to secure pages.

- Perhaps a few more that I forgot along the way: I've been googling solutions and trying them to see if anything sticks. Any solution that didn't stick I undid (as far as that was possible) before proceeding.

I've found a lot of people reporting on similar problems that were fixed by one of the solutions mentioned above, but it's not helping me. If someone has suggestions for things I haven't tried yet, please :) I know my way around computers so I can handle more elaborate or complex solutions (I think :P)

If there's any information you guys need, let me know.

Thanks for taking a look!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Do the pages that dont load on that computer, load on other devices?  It could be server error, or it could be your ISP, somehow throttling your connection to certain sites.  You have quite the comprehensive list of things you have already tried.

Im not exactly sure what to suggest for you to do.  Good luck.

#3 Pureekonijn

Pureekonijn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Do the pages that dont load on that computer, load on other devices? 

Yes, they have no problem loading on any of the other devices around the house, including a similiarly wired computer, a wireless laptop, an Ipad and a collection of smartphones.

#4 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Well in that case, Im lost...you are sure there are no parental controls or filters turned on?

#5 Pureekonijn

Pureekonijn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

you are sure there are no parental controls or filters turned on?

Parental controls are off, I've check all the filters that I know off to be off... but there's still the virus scanner (Kasperski) which I'm not entirely familiar with, but since I've disabled it fully in one of my goes I figure it can't be it.

In any case, thanks for looking :)

#6 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Your welcome.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forums!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users