I've the issue stated in the title. Some websites load and others time out. I've been googling for two days trying all sorts of solutions but none of it helped. Before I just wipe and reinstall Windows I want to try this as a last resort, partly because I'm not even convinced it's actually in the computer itself. Here's what I know so far:
- The problem started at an indefinate time: it's the computer of my parents and they can't tell me more than "it suddenly stopped!"
- The pages that aren't loading don't share any commons grounds: they're news pages, forums, secured websites, a bit of everything.
- Some pages load slowly instead of not at all.
- The computer runs on Windows 7 Home edition and is up to date.
- The computer is wired to a switch which leads into a router, which connects to the modem.
- The problem occurs with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox.
- The problem is not affecting any other computers on the same network.
- I can ping some of the "unreachable" websites just fine. Typing in their IP address does not load the page.
I've tried the following things that didn't work:
- Deleting temporary internet files and resetting safety settings to normal.
- Disabling the firewall
- Clearing the DNS cache
- Giving the computer a static IP address
- Changing the DNS server manually (to that of google: 22.214.171.124)
- Uninstalling and reinstalling browsers and related applications like Flash and Java.
- Disabling all startup programs except for Windows services.
- Disabling the virus scanner.
- Using safe mode with networking.
- Using a system restore point from several months ago.
- Logging in to the router to see if something was blocking it there.
- Scanning for virusses and malware, and using a cleaning program.
- The suggestions listed in the sticky of this forum for getting access to secure pages.
- Perhaps a few more that I forgot along the way: I've been googling solutions and trying them to see if anything sticks. Any solution that didn't stick I undid (as far as that was possible) before proceeding.
I've found a lot of people reporting on similar problems that were fixed by one of the solutions mentioned above, but it's not helping me. If someone has suggestions for things I haven't tried yet, please I know my way around computers so I can handle more elaborate or complex solutions (I think )
If there's any information you guys need, let me know.
Thanks for taking a look!