Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc won't start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Benji88

Benji88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi, I have a dell studio xps (8800?) and I recently changed my graphics card to 660 ti and my PSU to a 600w Corsair.

I didn't have any issues for a good 4 or 5 months until my computer wouldn't start, instead my power button flashes amber and blinks twice every few seconds.

I sent my pc away for repair and it was working for a few weeks and now the exact same issue has started again.

The very little info on "Amber light and 2 beeps" for Dell system pointed to it being a ram problem. I went out and bought 3 new ram cards, 1333mhz ddr3 pc3 10600 (exactly the same model, but higher memory) and tried replacing all of my old ones but still have the same issue.

I hope I've posted in the right forum. Can you please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Benji88

Benji88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

I can't do this as my pc won't turn on.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

try and see if it turns on with only one Ram card at a time. then add to it

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

if it was RAM, you would get at least to the POST beeps and possibly hear a beep code that would reveal the culprit according to your motherboard. i read that when it is RAM, you can try playing muscial sticks and slots, deducing one stick at a time.

it is ok, in this age of net phone capability, most folks have a backup to use to look for help for their troubled PC. I keep an old DeLL dimension 2350 just to use if my other PCs start acting up. but then that isn't worth much if the PC that needs to run the utility isn't booting up.  Can you boot up into safe mode at all?

this would appear to be a very basic root cause. everything i am reading indicates a power supply malfunction  1st, a loose cnnection of your 24 pin motherboard cable 2nd and the power switch itself isn't connecting a distant 3rd.

then i ran into this tidbit:

1) Unplug power cable from the power supply.
2) Press and hold the power button in for 30 seconds.
3) Plug the power cable back in and try turning it on again.

Edited by synergy513, 03 September 2014 - 04:27 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Benji88

Benji88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have tried different stick combinations and I have also tried the 30 second power button trick - neither worked :(

Edit: I also can not run safe mode. As soon as I hit my power button my psu led comes on and the fan spins for half a second before stopping, while my other fans keep spinning (I don't know if it's normal for my psu fan to stop straight away). My screen says 'no signal', the power button flashes amber and beeps twice every few seconds.

Edited by Benji88, 03 September 2014 - 04:48 PM.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

have you inspected the 24 pin motherboard connection? is it nice and snug? also, there is another 4 pin motherboard power connection, check that one out also.

is there another  power supply you could try?

you could go out and buy one just to check . check to be sure if you can bring it back for a refund if that isn't the issue. i see open box sales on power supplies all the time, so i am sure that is what happened, someone bought one just to check and that wasn't the problem, so they just took it back to the retailer for a refund.

i did forget one thing, this could also be a BIOS issue, a remote possiblility.

Edited by synergy513, 03 September 2014 - 04:54 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users