Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

I just removed Linux mint from my Dell Inspiron 6000 - it dual booted with XP.

I now can't boot windows - the Dell logo appears, then the screen goes blank (as if it is going to boot), then i get the Dell logo again and the sequence just repeats....

I know that Linux directed me to its own Grub boot menu so I booted the Dell XP instalation CD and ran both 'Fixboot' and 'Fixmbr' in the repair section.

I have also tried 'Dell MBRFixer' typing:

cd \MD2 <Enter>

repair <Enter>

but I then get : Command or filename not recognized...

Any ideas how i can get windows XP to boot?

Edited by j_bins, 03 September 2014 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you have the install disk use the following steps shown here. You should also use the bootcfg /rebuild command. No need to do the chkdsk command shown.

#3 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Thanks JohnC_21,

....I have installed a different linux distro (hoping for another dual boot) but it now just boots to Linux - not really what I wanted ;).....

I will remove Linux again, then follow the steps in your link, then if XP boots I will put back on the new distro and hopefully it will sit alongside XP :)

I post up how it works out :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

If you still want the linux distro and dual boot download BootRepair and select option one (recommended repair). It may even solve the XP boot problem after the linux uninstall but I have never used it to do that.

Edit: Link for download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

main.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#5 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

- First I ran through the steps in the tutorial you sent. - this gave me back the grub menu but XP still wasn't listed.

- Then I booted from the Boot Repair CD and ran the 'recommended repair'. This put windows back on the grub menu.

- When I selected Windows there was a request for the Windows installation CD - then Windows XP seemed to instal? Although maybe it just ran a repair asii still have all the same files etc. (It took around half an hour).

- On reboot when I select Windows from Grub I get a screen asking me to select either:

Windows XP Home Edition

or

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

.....it doesn't seem to matter which I select, its still seems to take me to the same installation.

I wonder if it is cause by what I put for the 'Enter Load Identifier' ? In the tutorial text it states 'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition' but in the image it states 'Windows XP Home Edition'. I am not sure which example I followed.

Do you know if there is a way to correct this?

This is the link generated by Boot repair btw:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8246437/

Many thanks for all your help. I have quite enjoyed learning how to do these things :)

EDIT: Update - Winodws now seems to only have SP2 not SP3 and i can't get 'Windows Update' to work...i get the message 'the website encoutered a problem'. Also kaspersky now seems to be corrupted so i am going to reinstal that.

Edited by j_bins, 04 September 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

I am not sure how XP could have gone to SP2 from SP3. That does not see possible. I do know that the two options Windows XP home edition and Microsoft Windows XP home edition are listed because there are now two entries in your boot.ini file. You can delete one by editing the boot.ini file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

#7 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

JohnC,

Thanks, I deleted an entry in the Boot.ini and it all works well now.

I installed SP3 and now I can perform Windows update and it seems the Kaspersky problems were related to the absence of SP3.

I am not sure how XP could have gone to SP2 from SP3. That does not see possible.

.....just guessing but it maybe has something to do with when I put the Windows CD in (Dell OS XP Recovery). It was probably made when I just had SP2?

Everything is looking good. Thanks for helping me increase my knowledge. :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

Your Welcome, Yes, the Dell OS XP recovery was probably a SP2 disk. Glad everything is working okay for you now. Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users