Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft email messages (.eml) in Libraries Folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EricW44

EricW44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hi all,

I was in  "Favorites / Libraries" this morning, browsing around.  I was going to look at one of my past emails and accidentaly did something that converted all of my .emls to be opened with Acrobat.

Dum-m-mb! 

Well, it was too late to hit Backup to correct this mess, finally ended up with all of my emails to be opened with the MSExplorer app.

Of course, that didn't work either.

How on earth do I get rid of my mistake and return all of those .eml files back to their original?  As it stands now it appears that all of my email history is corrupted.

Thanks for reading,

EricW44

Edited by EricW44, 03 September 2014 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

Two possible solutions, depending on what has happened.

If they are all opening as Acrobat files because somehow you changed the extension from .EML to .PDF, then re-naming them back to .EML should solve the problem. There is a way of doing this as a 'batch' process but I have never used it so cannot advise, but you could google 'batch rename files' and see what you get. Try it with say four or five before you try it on all of them !

The other possibility is that you have merely changed the 'association' of the file - this is what determines what application is the default for opening it. Again, this is easy to change.

Open Windows Explorer and find one of these files, then RIGHT click on it You will get a small menu with about half way down 'Open with . . .' Click on 'Open with' and a list of the programs associated with the file will appear. At the bottom of this list you will see 'Choose default program', click on this. Then the 'Set default' box will open.

If your e-mail program is listed, merely select it and make sure the box at the bottom left 'Always use . . ' is ticked. If your program isn't listed, click 'Browse' (bottom right) and go looking for the program you want to use. Once you have found it, select it and then make sure the 'Always use' box is ticked.

If neither of these work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users