Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sisterrita

sisterrita

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

I hav a Dell, running Windows 8.  Couple of days ago screen went black and now can't see anything.  I start it up, can hear it loading but nothing but a black screen appears.

I have tried to get the task manager to open

I have tried to get to a help sceeen

I have disconnected everything and reconnected but that did nothing

I have tried to open any and everything but get nothing but a black screen.   I know the display isn't the issue because I hooked up my old computer that runs XP and everything works.

Any idea of what the issue could be?  Sure hope I don't hear something that is going to cost a bundle since I have only had the computer for about 6 months.

thanks  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

If you have only had the computer for six months it is still under warranty.

I know the display isn't the issue because I hooked up my old computer that runs XP and everything works.

Would you please explain exactly what you did with this XP computer?  What you have posted doesn't make sense to me.

What is the model of this Dell?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Does anything at all appear on your monitor when you first boot up, like the brand of bios?

Anything at all, or does it remain black even when you first turn it on?

If it shows nothing at all but you can hear the machine start up and all the lights come on, etc, then it might be just a matter of re-seating the ram, that is to say to remove it and re-insert it.

If on the other hand, it does show something but never get's to the desktop, then that's a different type of problem.

Please clarify which it is and it might not hurt to give us the model number too.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

The XP isn't the problem, it is a 12 year old set up and it is working fine. 

My issue is with my new Dell that runs Windows 8.   You can hear it start up, but nothing appears on the monitor, monitor remains black

#5 sisterrita

sisterrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Maybe I'll just take it back to Fry's Electronics and have them look at it.  As mentioned, it's still under warranty. 

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

Have you tried re-seating the ram?

It's a fairly common problem around where I live, with all the salt air, so it's not as likely to happen in mainland US, but it's so easy to do, that it's worth trying.

Just saw your last post.

Cancel what I suggested.

By all means, take it back if it's on guarantee.

Edited by rockysosua, 04 September 2014 - 05:08 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users