Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dorm Network & Router.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 B0r1s

B0r1s

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

In the dorm building I live in we have Internet access provided for us; one large network for the entire building. There are ethernet ports in each bedroom and one in the living room area. I have a WiFi router connected in the living room, broadcasting a secured WiFi signal, and also wired to an xbox 360. In my bedroom I have a laptop wired directly into the wall outlet.
This setup has my xbox and laptop on different networks, but in order to share media between them I need to be connecting to the same network.
Is there any way to do this, since they are both technically connected to the same wired network, just one is passing through a router first?
I can run my laptop on WiFi and media share, but I lose a considerable amount of speed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

I could be misunderstanding...but what prevents you from establishing a 3d home network between the two systems?

The existing networks for connecting to the Web for Internet access...should have no impact at all on your creating a home network between the two systems, IMO.  In any case, that's what I would try.

Louis

#3 B0r1s

B0r1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Unless my laptop is connected to the router via WiFi, neither device will detect the other.

#4 B0r1s

B0r1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

I think it's primarily my xbox not detecting my PC (or any PCs). Should I be asking this on an xbox forum?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

You would connect your router per this article and then everyone would be on the same network.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

Basically what that article is telling you to do is turn off the DHCP server in the router. Turning it into a 4 port switch and wireless access point. Once you surf in and turn off DHCP, plug  into the schools network, and the school will hand out IP addresses. 

OR

You can just connect to your wireless signal from your router. Unplug from the wall and connect wirelessly. You might have to enable and disable the wireless. Because I believe wireless over rules wired. This is really easy.

Personally I'd do it the second way so your xbox isn't public out on the school network.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Wired usually is chosen over wifi by windows since wifi has huge overhead compared to wired.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

And yet if I enable my wireless my wired symbol is replaced by the wireless signal, so....

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Interesting.  I end up with both icons showing.  I have never seen one replaced by another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users