Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Won't Save Downloads Anywhere On Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cwyman

cwyman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

I have XP Pro SP2 current updates with the exception of KB912812 because of programs that we use that are broken by this patch. IE version is 6.0.2900.

Whenever I download a file, from IE, and save it ANYWHERE on my computer, The save as window will appear, I will select a place on my hard drive to save the file and click save. Then you see the save progression bar save the file, then the icon will appear for a split second and then another popup will briefly appear that looks like it might be removing the download and then the icon disappears and can be found no where. I looked in the recycle bin and the file is not there. I looked in the temp folders and it's not there either. Just really strange.

If I open Mozilla Firefox and download the same file to ANYWHERE on the hard drive, it saves no problem.

Co-workers are suggesting a virus or spyware, but I've ran all AVSW (eTrust) and several spyware tools and have found nothing.

Looking for suggestions.

Thank you.

Carrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

You may find a few suggestions in the links at Download(ing) Files Troubleshooting
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hi cwyman.
I just ran across that the other day on a system and it was Windows Defender Beta2 causing it.
There's also a somewhat old issue where that happens with compressed files mostly but you can always check it anyways.
In explorer, click tools>folder options>file types tab.
Locate the extension that your download file has and select it. Click the "Advanced" button.
Make sure "Confirm Open After Download" is selected for that file type. Ok your way out.
Try the download again.
Just a couple suggestions. :thumbsup:

#4 cwyman

cwyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Will try a few suggestions from you two and get back to you shortly.

Thanks!!

#5 cwyman

cwyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:21 PM

Great News!!!

I viewed a couple of things from the link that quietman suggested, but nothing panned out. So then I followed HitSquad's idea of Windows Defender and removed it (not sure if it was updated to beta 2 or not), but after installing it, was able to download files from IE. So, it's all Defender's fault :thumbsup:

I'm curious though, is this a bug or is this a problem that can be fixed instead of just removing Windows Defender?

If someone could enlighten me, that would be great :flowers:

Thanks again HitSquad!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

I did a quick search and found the recommendation to uninstall Defender for this problem at two other forums and that fix worked. No explanation was offered so we'll both have to wait for HitSquad to enlighten us. I'll do some more research and see what else I can find.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 cwyman

cwyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

I love you guys!! I'm somewhat technical and at one time a student in training here at BC (that's been put on hold since work has become so demanding), but I love the fact that whenever I have a problem and when I can't fix it, it's a real problem....I can always come here to my padres and get great answers!!!

So, I await anxiously on the Windows Defender answer!!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Internet Explorer Downloads Monitors files and programs that are designed to work with Internet Explorer, such as ActiveX controls and software installation programs. These files can be downloaded, installed, or run by the browser itself. Spyware and other potentially unwanted software can be included with these files and installed without your knowledge.

Check you IE settings to make sure signed Active X is enabled (from trusted sites) and allowed to run.

To access your Active X settings:
Click tools/internet options/
choose the security tab
Make sure the "Internet" icon is highlighted
Click "Custom Level"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users