Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Certificate - Hotmail/Outlook.com

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mc2stix

mc2stix

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

As of last night, I began encountering sign in denials for my Hotmail account that include this message using IE9 on my PC:  

"The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server."  

Denied in Chrome with this message:  

"Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal your information from col128.mail.live.com (for examples passwords, messages..."

Also a problem with signing in on the IPad.

Searches don't seem to indicate Hotmail/Outlook is suffering a down status.

Thank you, BleepingComputer, for your help. You've been outstanding with that in the past.  

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2014 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mc2stix

mc2stix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

Note: All my devices are good with time/date. It's something else....

#3 mc2stix

mc2stix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Working on possibility if faulty time sync: an error re-syncing with time.windows.com. So I switched to time-a.nist.gov for a successful sync. No resolution to hotmail/outlook cert issue though.

Thought I'd try downloading the MalwareBytes Free tool... Kaspersky traffic monitor pops up indicating "cannot guarantee the security of the encrypted connection between Internet Explorer and 184.173.97.192 because it is impossible to check the website authentification certificate."

And...... same thing happens using Chrome.

Full day of banging my head on a monitor.  

#4 mc2stix

mc2stix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

Ran Windows solutions. Fixed all but 4 items that required more info sent...  

Suddenly, indication received that my Kaspersky IS 2013 needed upgrading. Downloaded the upgrade to Kaspersky IS 2015. I corrected a couple of Browser settings it suggested then ran full and additional rootkit scans...

Regardless, my security issues blocking my login to Hotmail/Outlook on both IE9 and Chrome have been resolved. Maybe the upgraded software recognized current certs or merely arrived with default settings I had changed errantly in KIS-13. I don't hold the tech credibility to target specifically as to why the success. Just sharing for others.

Thanks for the help. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users