Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My USB ports work on some devices, don't work on others

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cubrilopetar11

cubrilopetar11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hey guys.
I had this problem going on for quite a while now, and I grew tired of it. 

I'm hoping you guys can help me fix it.
So, I have 8 USB ports in total: Two 2.0s on the front, two 3.0s on the 
front, and four 2.0s on the back.

The two 2.0s on the front do not work at all (and these are the ones I want 
fixed the most). The two 3.0s on the front also don't work at all, but that's 
a driver problem, and not that important to me at the moment. 

The four 2.0s on the back are working just for some items:
My mouse and keyboard are working.
My flash drives are working.
My webcam is working.
My SD card reader is working
(And this is where it gets complicated) My 1TB HDD is working, but my 500GB 
HDD isn't. I've noticed that the 1TB HDD has a USB 3.0 Micro B:
USB3-Micro-3FT.jpg
While the 500GB one uses the regular Micro USB 2.0.

Also, My Samsung Galaxy Note II doesn't work on the pc. It doesn't recognize 
it, no sound when I plug it it, no error message. It's not even charging. 
But when I plug in an older Samsung Galaxy S II, it works. It recognizes it, 
it charges it. 

So my theory is that, the devices that draw less power work, but the ones 
that draw more power don't. 
So, what the hell is wrong with my pc, guys?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Visually inspect all of your usb ports for physical damage such as bent pins, shorting pins etc.

Also please download and run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 cubrilopetar11

cubrilopetar11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hey

Yeah sorry, forgot to post my specs. So here's the Speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Dsr5PM35EOcZmyi8m2rQZqm

There's a lot of info there.

If you just want my basic specs, go here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03411592

I shall inspect my USB ports now. Should I take pictures of them and post them here?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

You can take pictures if you suspect a problem. USB ports are pretty hard to get close ups of without a flash light and steady hand.

If there is no damage you can see, it is possible the header the front usb ports are plugged into on the mainboard has a problem. If there is another open header, you could move the connection and see if that fixes the issue.

As for the problem with the 500gb drive, does this drive work on other computers?

Edited by zingo156, 03 September 2014 - 11:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

I did not see any obvious problems in speccy. Have you tested the keyboard at a bios level in the front ports? As in: if you plug the keyboard into the front USB ports, then use the del, F1, F2, F9 right after powering on (one of these keys) to go into the bios? If the keyboard works at a bios level I would suspect a software related issue.

Another thing you could try to rule out a software related issue is boot to a version of linux, something like Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Just boot Mint from a disc or flash drive and see if the front usb ports work there.

If the front ports don't work at a bios level, then this is hardware related. Which means either the header the front ports are connected to on the motherboard has failed (if there is an open one you can move it), or something happened to the cable for the front ports or, the front ports themselves have been damaged or have failed.

#6 cubrilopetar11

cubrilopetar11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hey, 

Thanks for taking your time to analyze my problem, and sorry for the late reply. (I've been busy with replacing my power supply and my graphics card)

Yes, the HDD works on other computers. The problem is not in the devices, because those were only some examples I could think of, my Bluetooth adapter for example also doesn't work, but worked before the problem persisted.

I will try to see if my keyboard works on the front ones in bios, although I highly doubt it, because since this problem began, I completely re-installed Windows two times, so I doubt it's a software problem. 

And with the open headers, I don't quite understand what you mean, and how to move them.

Can you please explain?

Edited by cubrilopetar11, 06 September 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Here are some examples of usb headers both 2.0 and 3.0

In this picture below, the 2 blue connections are usb 2.0 headers, this is where the front 2.0 usb cable would plug into the motherboard:

http://www.nmediapc.com/CR218_files/image001.jpg

In this picture below, there are more examples of usb 2.0 headers on the bottom of the picture in different colors.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/706/asus_m3nht_cmos.jpg

This picture below represents both the 3.0 and 2.0 headers that are found on most modern boards:

http://techreport.com/r.x/2011_8_16_Fractal_Designs_Define_R3_midtower_chassis/usb3-620.jpg

For the front ports of the computer case to work, the cable that runs to the usb ports must be connected to the motherboard to the correct header. Double check that the cables are all connected to the motherboard correctly, if they are, if you have extra open headers, you could try to move the front usb cable from the header it is connected to now to a new one to see if just that 1 header has a problem.

Edited by zingo156, 07 September 2014 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users