Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trial McAfee set to expire...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PLane

PLane

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

This is a stupid question, but I want to take precautions. My trial for McAfee is due to expire in a couple of days. Right now in action center it says that McAfee firewall is turned on. I don't want to be without firewall protection once my trial is over. So could anyone tell me the procedure to turning off the McAfee firewall and turning on the preinstalled Windows firewall? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

If you are not going to purchase McAfee and continue to use it you should uninstall it.  Windows 8.1 has Defender which is an active antivirus, so you could use this.  Once you uninstall McAfee the Windows firewall should activate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PLane

PLane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Okay, thank you.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

If you are not going to purchase McAfee and continue to use it you should uninstall it.  Windows 8.1 has Defender which is an active antivirus, so you could use this.  Once you uninstall McAfee the Windows firewall should activate.

I second that recommendation.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Erndog

Erndog

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Check out Microsoft.com There is a free antivirus you can download its called Mircosoft Security Essentials... Works great with windows 8. I used to buy antivirus protection with Advast and Avg not no more... Why pay for protection when this is a free download from Microsoft. (Note) Remove current antivirus before this download to your computer... Hope this helps Erndog

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Check out Microsoft.com There is a free antivirus you can download its called Mircosoft Security Essentials... Works great with windows 8. I used to buy antivirus protection with Advast and Avg not no more... Why pay for protection when this is a free download from Microsoft. (Note) Remove current antivirus before this download to your computer... Hope this helps Erndog

Windows 8 came with Windows Defender which is a full blown active antivirus.  They don't need the Microsoft Security Essentials.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

I really would not recommend using Win Def and MSE, Just install the free version of Avast or AVG. Most modern modem and routers have firewall built in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users