Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free - Chromium browsers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

It says it works with Chrome, but does anyone know if it works with Chromium based browsers, specifically Comodo Dragon? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hello n01paranoid:

Reference: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Users Guide

In the Premium or business version of MBAE, if you don't see the exact application you wish to protect after left-clicking the applications tab, then left-click Add Shield and supply the relevant information for a custom shield.

You may then prove to yourself that you are exploit protected by using either the MBAE Exploit Test and/or run Microsoft's Process Explorer and check for the MBAE wedge/shim injected in the application in question.

Reference: How to verify that MBAE is working correctly

Personally, I have never used the Comodo Dragon browser.

If you have any further questions, the developer (pbust) is always willing to answer your questions: News, Questions and Comments

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 03 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks a lot. I clicked on your second link and, would you believe it, one of the first threads was asking whether it worked with Chrome based browsers. It seems the paid version will but not the free version. Oh well. I guess I'll stick with HitmanPro Alert.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

...I guess I'll stick with HitmanPro Alert.

Incompatibilities & Conflicts

7. Hitmanpro.Alert is not currently compatible with MBAE.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Known Issues & Conflicts

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Rhetorical question:

If someone were to purchase the MBAE Premium version, I wonder if $8.32USD per seat per year is worth it to keep exploits out of your computer?

My answer probably shouldn't count - but to me, yes.

HitmanPro.Alert is indeed a fine product. However it only protects browsers. MBAE Free protects the most popular browsers and Oracle's Java.

MBAE Premium protects any browser, Java, Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Foxit Reader, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Microsoft Windows Media Player, VideoLAN VLC Player, QuickTime Player, Winamp Player and may be customized to protect other applications as well.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 04 September 2014 - 04:21 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Per erikloman, Authorized SurfRight Rep (summary of comments in this topic):

HitmanPro.Alert warns when malware has intruded your browser but the alert will not block malware since the program is not designed to be an anti-virus or anti-malware tool.

1. Alert's Intruder feature is only for web browsers when they are open. Intrusions happening while the browser is open will be detected and an alert will be displayed but the intrusion is not blocked.

2. Alert's CryptoGuard is a system-wide real-time feature that will block encryption of files even when no browsers are open (browsers are unrelated to CryptoGuard anyway. The CryptoGuard feature protects all documents and files on the computer. Alert will not blocked the infection but will block crypto attacks on the documents and files on the computer. CryptoGuard monitors the computer's file system for suspicious operations. When suspicious behavior is detected, the malicious code is neutralized and your files remain safe from harm. CryptoGuard works silently in the background at the file system level, keeping track of processes modifying your personal files. CryptoGuard works autonomously, so no user interaction is required.

3. The CryptoGuard Alert will always be 301.
HitmanPro.Alert will warn immediately when it sees that critical web browser APIs (like cryptography and network APIs) have been compromised by banking malware like Zeus, SpyEye, Sinowal (aka Mebroot and Torpig), Citadel, Cridex, Carberp, Shylock, Tinba, etc.

4. Alert also vaccinates the computer by setting a few markers that some malware families look for when infecting a computer. With these markers the computer looks like a research computer and some malware families won't deploy. See Vaccinating systems against VM-aware malware.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info quietman7. As your info says, HitmanPro Alert neutralizes, rather than blocks, malware, as MBAE does. Erik Loman recommends malware removal, not surprisingly, with HitmanPro, but I presume, say, Malwarebytes Anti Malware scanner would be just as effective. 

HitmanPro Alert seems to do a very good job in its own way so I'm quite happy to continue using it.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

You're welcome.