Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows image recovery failed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fatal Error

Fatal Error

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hi all.

I have got a samsung notebook with Windows 8. A few days ago I saved a system image on my hard drive through windows 7 recovery tool (the usual one which comes within windows 8) and the later on I had to recover it because of my Windows wont start.

I went into recovery > troubleshoot > advance and then restore system image. At this point, the dialog box for the recovery tool wont give me an option to select my hard drive and gave me an error saying hard drive is not loaded. I am assuming the driver for hard drive faild and apparently there is no way I can install the hard drive driver from within the recovery as it wont find it.

So eventually with no other option, I had to fresh install my windows from the recovery partition within the same hard drive. This is strange because windows recovery tool faild to load the hard drive, but reset tool managed to load the drive and retrieve the recovery files.

Does anyone know whats happening here? At the moment, I cant do any recovery images (which I badly need) because of this issue. Does anyone know how to resolve or diagnose this?

Thanks a million.

Edited by Fatal Error, 03 September 2014 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

First off - Welcome to BC !

Am I correct in my understanding - your computer is running again but you have data on a system image that you wish to restore and cannot ?

I do not claim any particular expertise on Win 8, but this BC tutorial may be of help :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

If it doesn't. post back and I will see if I can get someone with greater knowledge to have a look at your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well, there are several aspects to your scenario.

1) I have seen System Images fail from time to time, for no good reason that I could ever find, so we can't rely on them 100%, as your case proves.

2) As you saw, Win 8 refers to the feature in the control panel as "Windows 7 recovery" (or something to that effect).

I assume that they knew they were going to dispose of the System Imaging feature in Win 8.1, which might explain why they called it a Win 7 feature.

3) Windows 8 & 8.1, offer the ability to make a bootable USB thumb drive.

Naturally, that's not as good as an image that can be installed in minutes and all your programs and settings are ready to go, but it does protect you against a dysfunctional recovery system from your recovery partition, and also offers a system refresh that keeps all your data.

It actually copies the recovery partition and makes itself bootable, so if your hard drive died, you could use the thumb drive to make a clean installation on a new HDD, just like the OEM system that the machine came with at the point of purchase.

On another note, if you would like to upgrade ti 8.1, I can give you some shortcuts to get the job done, instead of having to install a ton of Windows Updates, just to make your machine eligible for the upgrade.

In case you didn't already know, 8.1 is radically superior when it comes to navigating, specially for those folks who do not have touchscreens.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users