Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re: malware and video DVDs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pluto Redux

Pluto Redux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

I sometimes burn DVD-videos using ImageBurn or Nero, for example. These are finalized and ready to play on any DVD player or computer. Can anyone tell me whether malware could, in principle, affect the processes of assembling and burning a video DVD such that the finalized disc would contain any kind of malware which could harm a regular DVD player/recorder or computer into which it was inserted? If so, are there ways to detect or remove (in the computer) such malware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I don't think that malware could get any personal information from your dvd player to make it worth their effort to do such a thing

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

I don't think malware on a dvd could even run on a dvd player, nor would there be much it could do except be annoying, it couldn't do anything that it's evil designer could profit from. But on a computer which was running the dvd, i'm not sure. The thought is certainly scary, the number of second hand DVDs (films, tv series etc, second hand shops are big business in the uk)  i've bought and played through a computer is quite high. I think the only way it could happen was if an exe file were on the disc and some sort of "plug and play" business was enabled, some discs (movies, tv series, etc) especially old ones have exe files for special interactive functions(none of which are needed to actually play the video). There was an incident i have heard of some years back where sony put malware on music CDs (to try and force consumers into a trap of only buying from sony i guess) but i have also heard that attack was beaten off by disabling plug and play. As for random criminals trying to modify commercial discs (music, films, tv serieses) to put viruses on them, i'm not sure if that is possible or whether such a modification attempt would make the disc unplayable to most dvd players if not computers. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I remember that there was malware that modified .iso files to infect them, so yes, there is malware that targets CD/DVD burning.

But malware that targets video DVDs, I don't know. In principle, it could, by exploiting a vulnerability in the DVD player software on your computer.

A vulnerability could also be present in the software of a DVD player appliance, but the question is what a malware author would gain by doing that.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

A malware "author" (author implies skill and decency, let's say thug) could gain from malware based on video DVDs. If he bought some DVDs from a shop, imfected them then sold them to a second hand shop they would be bought by people many of whom watch DVDs via their computer not TV. The proportion who use a TV to watch the films would not be of interest to the "thug" but he could put any infection he liked onto those using the computer. If he was sneaky he could have the infection take weeks to become visible, in that time the buyer of the dvd might have sold it on to another second hand shop(for a fraction of what they paid for it)... and the cycle continues. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

If he bought some DVDs from a shop, imfected them then sold them to a second hand shop they would be bought by people many of whom watch DVDs via their computer not TV.

The movie DVDs you buy from a shop are read-only. They can not be infected.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

There are smart tv's out there with internet and web browsers. Although they are not very good browsers and I'm sure they are running some kinda *nix or an android flavor.....it might be possible to infect a smart tv

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

There are smart tv's out there with internet and web browsers. Although they are not very good browsers and I'm sure they are running some kinda *nix or an android flavor.....it might be possible to infect a smart tv

You mean a smart TV with embedded DVD player?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

well if your blu ray player has network access I suppose something could be there. They do make blu ray players that can connect DLNA to your router or pc for media streaming

Edited by Joe C, 03 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Although it's very unlikely that your pc's video or a home grown malicious disk from the pc or blu ray player could pass through a malicious program to your tv's internet browser.....I can't say it would be impossible

Edited by Joe C, 03 September 2014 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users