Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled drink on HP laptop, now only works with battery?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

Someone spilled a drink on my HP laptop (model g6-1116so) and now it only works when the battery is being used. When I push the power button with only the AC adapter plugged in, nothing happens. What should I do to research what could be wrong? After the drink was spilled, the laptop was sitting without being used for at least 5 days and it works fine apart from no power using AC adaptor. Is there a surge protector inside this computer?

Any advice please. Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

The machine has to be taken apart, completely apart, and the circuit board(s) cleaned with distilled water. Then dried with a blow dryer. To make sure the circuits are dry, now put them on a towel on a pan and bake them a low temperature (125 F) for 15 minutes. Put it back together and hope for the best. This is an involved procedure and if you have never taken a lappy apart before, you are in for an experience. Or you could pay to have it done.

Hope this helps.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Some ac adapters will go into protect mode and stop providing power. Try unplugging the power adapter from the wall for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try to power the computer on the ac adapter alone.

If it still does not work, use a multi-meter to test the output of the power adapter to make sure it is providing power. If the adapter is outputing power correctly and the computer still does not work on the power adapter:

ElfBane is correct, if the computer has completely dried out and still does not function correctly the motherboard may need to be cleaned, this requires a full tear down. I recommend using isopropyl alcohol at 90% if you can find it instead of distilled water. Alcohol dries much faster than water, 90% dries faster than 75% and it also seems to clean better than water.

Also if the liquid was spilled when the computer was on or if the computer was powered on while the liquid was not dry, it may have caused permanent damage to the motherboard. From the sound of it the charging circuit may have been damaged. If this is the case replacing the motherboard would be the only option to continue using the computer with the power adapter.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just trash it then. I've never taken one apart "completely" so I wouldn't know what I would be doing. It was relatively cheap so no point in replacing any damaged parts or paying a pro to do it (especially when it still could turn out impossible to fix). Thanks!

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Before you trash it, take it apart, and learn more about it!

#6 earlgun

earlgun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Some ac adapters will go into protect mode and stop providing power. Try unplugging the power adapter from the wall for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try to power the computer on the ac adapter alone.

If it still does not work, use a multi-meter to test the output of the power adapter to make sure it is providing power. If the adapter is outputing power correctly and the computer still does not work on the power adapter:

ElfBane is correct, if the computer has completely dried out and still does not function correctly the motherboard may need to be cleaned, this requires a full tear down. I recommend using isopropyl alcohol at 90% if you can find it instead of distilled water. Alcohol dries much faster than water, 90% dries faster than 75% and it also seems to clean better than water.

Also if the liquid was spilled when the computer was on or if the computer was powered on while the liquid was not dry, it may have caused permanent damage to the motherboard. From the sound of it the charging circuit may have been damaged. If this is the case replacing the motherboard would be the only option to continue using the computer with the power adapter.

What should the power adapter output be?  The very fine print on my HP adapter says it's 65 watts with 18.5v/3.5a output.  I measured the first, six pin connector, of my power connector cable, with a multi-meter.  The two red wires measured 19.34v, orange wire measured 14.4 v, yellow or dingy white wire measured 0.0v, 2 black wires were 0. 

Is this correct for each of the wires?

I apologize, if I should have started my own topic. 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

The power output is generally around 19.5v directly from the power adapter itself. The other wires I would need a pin out to know.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 earlgun

earlgun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

The power output is generally around 19.5v directly from the power adapter itself. The other wires I would need a pin out to know.

Ok, thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users