Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia alternatives Ubuntu and Other Distros

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

Warnings and Screens - startup and shutdown - problem solved (in MY case). Now what caused it?

I had a problem, temporarily, hopefully, permanently solved, in Ubuntu 14.04.1 Trusty Tahr, with my bootup and shutdown displaying warnings, which I can detail if anyone is interested.

I am a newbie to Linux, very much so, coming from Windows 7 Home Premium environment. My Acer Aspire Z5761 All-in-One shipped to me in late September 2012 with (amongst other packages and components) an nVidia GeForce GT 420 (up to 4GB) graphics package, and also a 23" touchscreen from Acer.

I am at this moment using

Selection_018_zps7b3e7c55.png

Suffice it to say, for now, that I am using Nouveau driver instead of my own nVidia.

In my preliminary inquiries, I was told that the Nouveax display driver is an nVidia driver, although it may not be the ideal one for my computer.

Close, but no cigar, as you can see below. I am, however, eternally grateful for the input, gimme more!! Everyone I have "met" here (in BC) has been so friendly, and knowledgeable.

My research last few days reveals as follows:

• searches reveal:

• “This driver for the X.Org X server (see xserver-xorg for a further description) provides support for NVIDIA Riva, TNT, GeForce, and Quadro cards.”

source - http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

NB reference to Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS may date this back as far as 29th April 2010

The Lucid reference above says, amongst other things:

“This package is built from the FreeDesktop.org xf86-video-nouveau driver.”

Further searches reveal -

• at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ “freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but developers working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to participate.” AND

• “freedesktop.org is building a base platform for desktop software on Linux and UNIX. The elements of this platform have become the backend for higher-level application-visible APIs such as Qt, GTK+, XUL, VCL, WINE, GNOME, and KDE. The base platform is both software and specifications.”

• at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_%28software%29 , of interest is “nouveau (/nuːˈvoʊ/) is a free and open-source graphics device driver for Nvidia video cards as well as for the Tegra family of SoCs written by independent software engineers, with minor help from Nvidia employees.”

• Somewhat contra to that above comment, it goes on to say, under History, “As of 31 January 2014, Nvidia's Alexandre Courbot committed an extensive patch set which add initial support for the GK20A (Tegra K1) to nouveau.[22]”.

• In the footnotes/references section at the bottom of the article, item [30] refers to benchmarking tests conducted by Phoronix, and the article is found at

• http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_nouveau_linux316&num=1 published as recently as 28th July just passed. It is 5 pages, but most of that graphical comparisons, but may be of considerable interest to Mega Gamers.

DISCLAIMER – I have not checked yet with the X.org Foundation themselves, nor with nVidia themselves, about the problems I have been experiencing. I will do so imminently, and if interest is expressed in this Topic, I will detail the results.

Likewise, for ALL those, whatever your Linux distribution, whom have experienced problems coming from a Windows environment to Linux, and are experiencing problems with nVidia driver replacement or substitution in the “new” (yeah, yeah, I know it has been around for over 20 years, lol) Linux world, give me your thoughts and experiences.

BTW - I am NOT a Gamer - reflexes are probably too slow, nowadays, so high-end graphics are not a worry to me. As long as my desktop wallpaper looks pretty (awesome) and the refresh rate on screens is acceptable, I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it, lol.

Cheers for now, hope to swap info with you

Wizard

Edited by wizardfromoz, 04 September 2014 - 12:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

In my preliminary inquiries, I was told that the Nouveax display driver is an nVidia driver, although it may not be the ideal one for my computer.

Close, but no cigar, as you can see below.

When I said that Nouveax is an nVidia driver, I just meant that it's a driver for nVidia cards. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Here is some more info:

Nouveau: Accelerated Open Source driver for nVidia cards

The nouveau project aims to build high-quality, free/libre software drivers for nVidia cards. Nouveau [nuvo] is the French word for new. Nouveau is composed of a Linux kernel KMS driver (nouveau), Gallium3D drivers in Mesa, and the Xorg DDX (xf86-video-nouveau).

Have you tried searching for a driver here?

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:42 AM

Al1000, answering your last question first, the following was provided at nVidia:

Selection_019_zps255bdf54.png

I first of all followed in the footsteps of Agent_Orange (who has a 600 series nVidia, I have a 400 series), and if you visit

http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/

... I followed steps 1 - 3

In 4. I opted for Software & Updates method, Additional Drivers. That window, at the time, was similar to below, but not exactly in the same pecking order:

Selection_020_zpsfc4c46e2.png

You can see quite clearly the addition of versions in the 340s - Agent_Orange was in search of v340.32 and wondered about v343.13.

I selected v340.32 and applied the changes, and the results were somewhat disastrous. Not in the session of Trusty itself, but on shutdown and bootup, I was receiving warning messages/error messages which I will detail in my next post (remedied for the moment by reverting to the Nouveau environment). And I will there list my adventures with the v343.13 driver, which were even more disastrous.

BTW before I head off to cook tea, I DID download from nVidia themselves, NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run , which I will likewise try.

At the moment, though, all roads seem to lead to, not Rome, but X.org and Freedesktop.org and/or a combination of their products and my own computer's components providing some sort of linked conflict. In the absence of a Belarc Advisor I used to use from XP to Windows 7, I am going to take a gander at PhpSysInfo and see what it has to offer.

Later, stay well and stay safe.

Wizard.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Oops and forgot - I was going to contact X.org, Freedesktop.org and nVidia anyway, but your reference to the former's Wiki fast-tracks me to where to contact their team. Ta very much

Later

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

wiz, have you considered adding Bumblebee to your install, it's in your Software Manager (where you get everyday software). On your OS, it may be called the Ubuntu Software Center. 

It so happens that be both have a very close GPU (I have the Geforce GT 425M in the MSI), Bumblebee solved my issues (using the X.Org driver). Nick was the one whom told me about it, the issue was connecting to an external display & the resolution was way off. 

This is an issue with notebooks that has dual Intel HD Graphics & Nvidia discrete card. Bumblebee has saved the day for many & it may for you too. It's free, so worth a shot. 

Hope this is of help, let us know one way or the other, if it helps, we may need to make it our first suggestion. 

NOTE: For those with AMD cards, this is of no good, Bumblebee is for dual Intel/Nvidia notebook graphics. 

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

Cat, now it's funny you should mention that. I passed by references to the BB (Bumblebee) today whilst trawling, but thought it was for laptops only? My Acer Aspire Z5761 is an all-in-one desktop, but consists of what appears to be a monitor only, with all the goodies in the back.

B4 you read ahead, bear in mind that my system is working fine (mostly) just using the Nouveau driver, it is when I switch it to an nVidia option that then I get the probs at startup and shutdown.

Selection_021_zps001cb291.png

The above document is very much a work in progress, but I'll enter those URLs here, the first redirects instantly to the second:

http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2039  and http://kb.monitorware.com/kbeventdb-detail-id-6904.html

My syslog.1 from breakfast time this morning, shown below

Selection_022_zps157e74d2.png

... provides that 1st URL and shows here and there Nouveau entries, as is to be expected.

What I am finding of particular interest is this: If you hark back to my rapidly growing PhotoBucket library of shots:

The first one, from Software & Updates-Additional Drivers, reflects the initial status I had (including Nouveau checked) from my original (and only, so far) full (hello, meet GRUB, :welcome: ) install from a live CD I wrote.

The second one reflects the extra options provided once I added xorg-edgers to my repos, as below shows:

Selection_023_zpse2500e76.png

My probs at startup and shutdown of Trusty Tahr started, I thought!, when Agent_Orange was in search of his nVidia Eden (& rightfully so). Hoping to assist, I found the list in the first snapshot, and changed my driver to v331.38 nVidia, which was listed as "proprietary, tested". You see no reference to "tested" in the 2nd screenshot.

Well, it's that time of night again, here in the Wonderful World of Oz, where I am off to cook tea, but over the weekend, I will flesh out my travails considerably more, will reference that "I thought!" to even back to Windows 7, and bring in the startup and shutdown warning/error messages I received using nVidia drivers.

Take care, all, and enjoy your weekend.

Wiz

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

Wiz, something to keep in mind here. 

You may not realize it, as well as many others, but all in one (AIO) computers are simply oversized notebooks. The installed RAM in notebook type, so is the PSU, sometimes the HDD will be a 3.5" (desktop) one, others will have a 2.5" drive. Sometimes the CPU & graphic chips are also of the notebook type. 

Plus the heatsink & fan is the same as notebook, only one fan to cool the entire unit. 

I never want an AIO again. Especially a HP one. They are junk & not designed to last as long as a real desktop. Heck, they don't last as long as a notebook. Many of these are engineered from surplus parts they have on hand to get rid of them. They're basically 70-80% profit, since many of the components were onhand for notebook warranty claims. The monitor & stand are the main components not associated with a notebook. 

It's critical to keep these cleaned, if the heatsink fins gets clogged, and stays that way, it's going to run hot & graphics may be the first to go. 

Just letting you know.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:21 AM

Tks for the input, Cat

Wiz, something to keep in mind here. 

You may not realize it, as well as many others, but all in one (AIO) computers are simply oversized notebooks.

Which of course begs the question:

Will bumblebee treat my PC as a notebook or a desktop?

I'll get back on-topic over the weekend, with my travails regarding nVidia vs Nouveau. Meantime, I had a ripper of a day - leant how to make a live USB stick with Trusty Tahr on it, plus persistence (32-bit for my brother-in-laws XP), so I can travel to Brisbane for a couple of nights next week and show it to him.

Usual signoff, off to cook tea.

Cheers

Wiz

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

If the PC is manufactured of notebook components, it'll treat it as such. 

Not that it's bad though, Bumblebee simply works with the environment with dual graphic systems (Intel/NVIDIA). It's not going to harm the system in any way, it will optimize it where it can. Bumblebee has been the bridge to assist many Linux users to make the most of their system. 

It greatly improved the graphics on my 2011 model MSI notebook with dual graphics. 

Here's some more information that may be helpful. 

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

http://askubuntu.com/questions/452556/how-to-set-up-nvidia-optimus-bumblebee-in-14-04

Though the above links are a bit technical, hope these are of some help. Note that Linux drivers aren't always available for the latest NVIDIA cards & this is also where Bumblebee comes in handy. 

Hope your travels over the weekend goes well.  :)

Cat

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

Will bumblebee treat my PC as a notebook or a desktop?

It will treat it like a computer, Linux don't care.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

That's right, Linux will run on most any computer, the exceptions being some of the locked ARM based Surface tablets. 

Though some older ones will require non-PAE Linux versions, these ISO's are available. 

Bumblebee works with most any Intel/NVIDIA dual graphics computer. A computer is a computer, regardless of if it's a notebook, tower or SFF (small form factor) PC, netbooks & some tablets. These days, a PC isn't just a desktop, we live in a more mobile world now, many considers a notebook their PC. There are desktop replacement notebooks, though these tends to be heavy. They'll run Linux too. 

I've yet to own a computer that wouldn't run Linux Mint. 

It would be great to be able to go into the Setup of these notebooks (or AIO's) & disable the inbuilt graphics & run the NVIDIA only, but haven't seen the option yet. Only on larger computers have I seen this setting. 

Cat

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:25 AM

OK you pair, you may get a giggle out of this.

Background - Cat, description may differ in the States, or not. In Oz, we have effluent disposal systems called Sewerage (sic) and Septic (sic), both deal with sewage (sic) - human effluent. Sewerage is a process involving underground (large) pipes which transfer the effluent to a treatment station in large towns and cities, and (very) occasionally, nowadays, into the sea. Septic, typically found in small towns, and rural communities, involves one or more tanks or reservoirs in your back yard, with microbes and bacteria treating the waste, a trench may be involved, and you need to get the tanks or reservoirs pumped out periodically, so as not to overflow. We have Septic here, and Nick MAY have, in Nimbin, south of here.

Off-topic? Wait for it.

I googled up "how do i tell if i have a dual graphics system"?

First page, my usual 10 entries, then at bottom of page, usual Google, but note 3rd entry ??? :hysterical:

GMp1HtI.png

... you guessed it, gotta go cook tea

Later

Wizard ... GIGO Garbage in, Garbage out

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Use duckduckgo.com

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how%20do%20i%20tell%20if%20i%20have%20a%20dual%20graphics%20system

Edited by NickAu1, 12 September 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, had heard of Duckduck but first time trying it. Have to go to Warwick to pick up new spectacles but will read on return.

I like, further down the page:

HIVrNxE.png

... or maybe not.

Later

Wiz

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,874 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

had heard of Duckduck but first time trying it.

I find duckduckgo tends to return Linux related answers first when asking a pc question.

and other usefull things every geek needs to know on the same link I posted above.

2qx2lnd.png

Edited by NickAu1, 12 September 2014 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users