Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Xp Pro Just Crashes Caused By Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hi everybody,
The following info comes from a program called "SysSpec"

System Specification---06/06/2006 17.40.38
Windows Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM) 511 MB
CPU Info Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed 2987,8 MHz
Sound card C-Media Wave Device
Display Adapters RADEON 9200 PRO Family (Microsoft Corporation) | RADEON 9200 PRO SEC Family (Microsoft Corporation) | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution 1024 X 768
Network Network Present
Network Adapters Scheda Fast Ethernet VIA compatibile | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface |
CD / DVD Drives D: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4120B | E: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B |
Default Printer Lexmark Z23/Z33 Color Jetprinter
COM Ports COM1 | COM4 |
LPT Ports LPT1 |
Mouse 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks C: 39,1GB | F: 37,3GB |
Hard Disks - Free C: 4,2GB | F: 28,3MB |
USB Controllers Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394) Detected: 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops) Not Installed
Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make P4V88
Serial Number 00000000
AC Power Status OnLine
BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 10/28/04 | A M I - 10000428 | |
Time Zone ora solare Europa occidentale
Battery No Battery
Motherboard

I am quite new to this side of computing!! So please give detailed instructions!!!

OK my problems..
A few weeks ago the audio on my computer stopped. I have tried everything I can think of...Yes even checking to see that the volume is on... :thumbsup:
I had discovered that the speakers had been set to my modem for some reason.. However, despite changing this back (I don't know how I did) they still don't work. I have even tried headphones but nothing!!!

However, the newest event is that every now and again my computer will just crash!!!
While I am trying to get it started it just keeps beeping from the internal speaker.
When I finally get it up and running again.. and error report is sent to Microsoft. A window opens up and says it is my Graphics card and I need to update it (if there is an updated one). Ah yes ( I haven't seen it but it has been reported to me) that a few times there were like strips and squares on the monitor!!!
How can I resolve these problems? How can I find out what my Graphics card is, if I have the new version or not and how to update it?

I thank you in advance for your help
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

You video adapter is an ATI Radeon 9200 Pro. You can find the driver vesrion number in the Device Manager:

Hold the Windows logo key down and press Pause-Break. Select the Hardware tab. Click the Device Manager button. Click the plus sign to the left of the item Display Adapters. Double-click the Radeon 9200 entry. Click the Driver tab. Note the Driver Version number and date. You will compare this to the latest driver available from the ATI web site.

The driver installation package can be found here. Drill down into Windows XP Drivers and Software > Radeon > Catalyst 6.5 for Windows XP > Low Speed (Dialup) - Display Driver Only - Download

Edited by pascor22234, 06 June 2006 - 12:29 PM.

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hi, sorry I haven't replied before but have been busy with work!!
OK I have updated the graphics card driver which is now Radeon 9250. The strange thing is that when I updated the graphics driver, the audio came back!!!
Is there a link between them?
Since the update there hasn't been any crashes until now.
The comp didn't restart as I disabled the restart so that I could read any error messages and report them!! The following error message was received.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
INFO TECH
*** STOP: 0x0000000D1 (0x0F2E8CBC, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xEF9F7480)
*** vsdatant.sys - Address EF9F7480 base at EF9B8000, DateStamp 4419a4ed
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

OK I have waited to see if other crashes but nothing other than the last post!!
However, I still have no sound!! I have updated the Audio Drivers but nothing!!
Any help please?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

A link about the STOP 0xD1 error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1

Then, I'd suggest updating your motherboard/chipset drivers - then your video and audio drivers (again)

If this doesn't fix it, the easiest fix would be to perform a repair install of XP using these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users