Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible causes of DNS server issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 need2lrn

need2lrn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

My internet over the course of a year or two has been disconnecting and sometimes having issues reconnecting. When I use the troubleshoot option the warning message says "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource(primarily DNS server)".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

In most cases, your computer is using your router as it's DNS server. The router, which is not an actual DNS server, forwards DNS requests to your ISPs DNS server. A lot of ISPs have "flaky" DNS servers, therefore a lot of people set up their computer to point to a different DNS server, like Google's.

Here is an article that explains how to set up your computer to use Google's DNS servers: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

I would recommend giving this a try for a few weeks to see if the problem persists or not.

Keep in mind that this could actually be an issue with your modem/router, or with your internet connection. Using a different DNS server can help to eliminate DNS as your issue though.

Edited by kokomodrums, 02 September 2014 - 10:36 PM.

-- Matt

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

That message, like many from Microsoft, is misleading.  It is simply saying you don't have a internet connection.

The question then becomes at what point is it broken?

Can you access your routers web interface via the lan?  If so we know that section is working.

From the router do you have valid ip on the wan interface?  If you conduct a internet test does it succeed or fail?

If either are negative then you need to call your isp and have them do a line and modem check.

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hey guys, I just got over 3 days of trying to fix my network problem. The answer ended up being so simple.. just shut down the computer, unplugged everything from the wall, hit the power button a few times, reconnected everything and bingo! Sooo weird.

BUT I don't think this is the problem you have because my connection always goes out for a min. or two and then finally comes back just like yours need2lrn. I can live with that, but here is the irritating thing... About once a day I will lose my connection and it won't come back until I restart the computer. During my last problem I didn't mention that part because I was afraid people might jump to conclusions that my motherboards LAN connection was broke lol. Sorry guys:)

Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if I can find out how to stop my internet from needing reboots. Let me know what works for you need2lrn, please, and best of luck to ya. You are at the right place for help:)

Colin

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

#5 AFguy11

AFguy11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hey guys, I just got over 3 days of trying to fix my network problem. The answer ended up being so simple.. just shut down the computer, unplugged everything from the wall, hit the power button a few times, reconnected everything and bingo! Sooo weird.

BUT I don't think this is the problem you have because my connection always goes out for a min. or two and then finally comes back just like yours need2lrn. I can live with that, but here is the irritating thing... About once a day I will lose my connection and it won't come back until I restart the computer. During my last problem I didn't mention that part because I was afraid people might jump to conclusions that my motherboards LAN connection was broke lol. Sorry guys:)

Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if I can find out how to stop my internet from needing reboots. Let me know what works for you need2lrn, please, and best of luck to ya. You are at the right place for help:)

Colin

I want to offer a little advice that was my issue and it was resolved from the ISP.  A few years ago I was also experiencing the same issue. After I changed my Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem out and still had the issue, I looked else places. My best friend was a behind the scene networking genius and pointed me in the right direction. And it was with the ISP. This may not be the issue, but it is a little input: the issue was being caused by the way the ISP setup their DOCIS 3.0. And of course I called my ISP at the time (Charter) and told them the issue, of course they denied knowing what I was talking about. But after a few days the issue was resolved. So try that. 

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

I want to offer a little advice that was my issue and it was resolved from the ISP.  A few years ago I was also experiencing the same issue. After I changed my Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem out and still had the issue, I looked else places. My best friend was a behind the scene networking genius and pointed me in the right direction. And it was with the ISP. This may not be the issue, but it is a little input: the issue was being caused by the way the ISP setup their DOCIS 3.0. And of course I called my ISP at the time (Charter) and told them the issue, of course they denied knowing what I was talking about. But after a few days the issue was resolved. So try that. 

Hmmm that makes sense. I assumed it was a problem on my end because no one else in the house has complained about it, BUT no one else uses the internet like I do so they probably wouldn't notice. Great idea, I'll give em a call. Thanks a lot for the tip bud ;)

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users