Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

PROBLEM

"Network and Sharing Center" suddenly shows an "Unidentified network"

Troubleshooting the network gives me this result:

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Also, I just noticed when I go to home group to change settings, at the top it says "This Computer Belongs to a homegroup", but below it says "The homegroup is not available because you're not connected to the home network" When I try to turn on network discovery, it doesn't stay changed either..

HEY GUYS! :)

Hey guys! Big fan of this site and the people on it for so many years. :) So I know where to go when I get stuck like I am now. Anyway, my computer suddenly stopped letting me connect to our network. My cable plugs into the motherboard so I don't have a network card or any type of wireless connection. I've tried every possible fix that I have thought of or heard of from searching google on another computer on the same network in this house.. I know this is a LOT of information, but I also know, the more I tell ya, the more it helps. Anyway I've highlighted some things red because I thought the info. may be of importance to ya guys. Things highlighted in blue are my computer parts or current settings. I probably messed up with the colors at some point making this list yesterday, but that's hardly the problem lol :P Alrighty, thanks in advance for any help!

Colin

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

-Turned off/reset the modem and router a million times and ways.

-Disabled and Re-enabled the Network adapter. In case it helps you, the adapter is: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

-Tried to roll back driver. (Not sure if it changed from what it is now.) As of now it says: Driver Provider: NVIDIA, Driver Date: 8/12/2010 Driver Version: 73.3.5.0

-Uninstalled the NIC from device manager, no luck.

-Disabled the Apple Bonjour service to off in services

-I tried disabling the IPv6 in adapter settings as well (I've changed it back now though)

-I've also tried going into IPv4 and manually putting in the correct IP addresses etc. (well hopefully correct anyway). Although this was another failure, after putting the settings back I noticed if I went into DOS and typed ipconfig while IPv4 is NOT set up manually it says that the autoconfiguration IPv4 Address is 169.254.101.86, but shouldn't it be something like 192.168.1.1 (the ip that brings up the router) or something vevery similar? We have a Linksys Router by the way. Ok it's been several hours later and that autoconfigutation IPv4 Address changes obviously because now it shows 196.254.194.67

-Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 (which is no longer free to monitor your computer..bummer), CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities 2014 (for the first time in a long time, hope that didn't do anything bad), and Microsoft Security Essentials (I Highlighted it just in case it's something that may be bad. I'm guessing this came with an update or something because I don't remember using it any time recently.. maybe a long time ago though.

-Someone even mentioned changing something in the registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Winsock\Parameters

They said to add the value "RFCOMM" to transports. Now, since my father's computer, which is working off of the same modem and router, had RFCOMM there and mine didn't I went ahead and added it.... to no avail. But I did leave it. It now has: Tcpip6 Tcpip Psched RFCOMM" under data in the Transports line. The only new part is the RFCOMM entry.

-Now for my adventures in DOS.. I DO run it as an admin, and tried the following commands I found from google advice. Of course I tried them while my cable was plugged in as well as when it was not. Here they are:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew  (This one gives two errors; "error while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request Timed out." then right under that one, "error  while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : system cannot find the file specified")

-Ok I also tried to do what this guy suggested to some people on another forum. Here is what he said:

"There are a number of command prompt commands that can clear the problem (disconnect the network cable first) and then go through these commands -- you will want to use an elevated command prompt so right click and run as admin to open it:"

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh int reset all        
(This is me, Colin adding this. If I recall correctly this wasn't a valid command.)

"after a few moments reattach your Ethernet cable and try to get an IP address with:
ipconfig /renew in the command prompt window."

- Now this guy also suggested some other things first. I wasn't sure if he ment I had to do them BEFORE the above process or if they were just other trouble shooting ideas and didn't effect the DOS commands. Maybe one of you could tell me? :) Anyway, this is what he had typed at the top of the DOS idea: "fixing this problem may include deleting the Ethernet adapters and then re-installing the latest available driver  turn off IPv6 in the adapter control panel settings -- just uncheck it;"

-I BELIEVE I got the newest chipset drivers, but I'm not sure. I went to a working computer (on the same network) and searched for my motherboard, wich is a "MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum". On MSI's site I located my MB and downloaded a file named "mcp_764_mb.zip". Once unzipped I noticed the main dir was named VISTA64 athough I run Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1. I don't think that was a problem though because the site told me to download this for windows 7 and Vista. When I ran that it uninstalled a previous copy or something and then gave me 3 choices for installing: "NVIDIA SMU Driver" "NVIDIA Ethernet Driver" and "NIVIDIA Storage Driver. I unchecked everything besides the NVIDIA Ethernet Driver. Though later I did it again for some reason and also left "SMU Driver" checked as well. If you think I should run that again and leave all 3 boxes checked pleeeease let me know OR if I should be getting newer drivers somewhere else please let me know, thanks! I'm not even sure that was really updating chipset drivers because I don't know what they are, heh. In case this helps in anyway, here are the names of the files I found online and ran after the file in that VISTA64 directory:

15.56-nforce-winvista-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

Which under properties -> details says "File Version: 4.0.100.1190 Product Name: Windows 7/Vista 64-bit nForce..." and nothing else of importance. This is probably the same thing I ran in that VISTA64 folder earlier, but like I said, this time I checked two of three things.

and the other download I ran...

14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql.exe (Which installed AMD Catalyst Software Suite AGAIN. So that was just for my display drivers I'm sure.

Ok so this is where I am stuck at :( Sorry this is a mess, it looked a lot better in wordpad before the copy and paste lol. But it took a long time to do all that stuff and then type it up. I've been trying to fix this all weekend... Have NO clue when or how this happened. I really hope someone can help. So if ya have any ideas or advice please bring em on! :) Oh yeah I see on other threads people are posting what they get in DOS after typing IPCONFIG /ALL. That stuff does seem important so if I should post my results or let ya know anything else, just ask. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome!

Colin

P.S. I will always reply ASAP

P.P.S. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS SHOULD BE UNDER Windows 7 NOT NETWORKING, THANKS

MY COMPUTER

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

My Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940  3.00 GHz
My Display Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
My Motherboard: MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum
            NVIDIA nforce 750a SLI Chipset based

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

Oh boy. That is a LOT of info!

Let's start with the basics. Please run the following command on another computer on your local network:

ipconfig

Then provide the results in your next post.

Also, please let me know what all antivirus and/or firewall applications you have running on the computer.

-- Matt

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

This tool from BC has numerous mini-fixes, including fixes to winsock functions, give it a try ,,,  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ .

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Wow thanks for the quick responses guys! After I posted last night I had to get some sleep. Now I'm watching my 2 year old nephew for another 5 or 6 hours. I will indeed try anything anyone says... with eagerness. Thanks EflBane for the link, I will let ya know what happens! Uh oh there goes the nephew running with scissors!! Ok better quickly post the dos results for kokomodrums!! Oh and as far as anti-virus programs I don't really have anything other than those programs I listed above. I could say a little more about these programs etc. but I gotta run for now! Thanks again guys :)

Colin

Here are the ipconfig results from another computer on the same network: (Also I wanna thank anyone who took the time to read all that info above! LoL I know it's a lot, but hopefully helpful.)

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cfl.rr.com
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bccb:ab01:a7da:33e9%10
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.143
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.cfl.rr.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:3836:622:3f57:fe70
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3836:622:3f57:fe70%12
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\windows\system32>

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

A ipconfig alone doesn't give us enough information like what your dns is set to.  Instead to a ipconfig /all and post those results.

Has this worked previously?

BTW don't confuse the black command prompt window with DOS.  They are not the same. DOS is a operating system.  Command prompt is not.

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

The ipconfig log of a working computer will tell us the IP address of his router, which can help us troubleshoot further. Because he is not getting a valid IP address, we can't even look at DNS yet.

Please run:

ipconfig /all 

on the "defective" computer now and post back the result so we can see where we stand currently.

Edited by kokomodrums, 03 September 2014 - 03:13 PM.

-- Matt

#7 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

A ipconfig alone doesn't give us enough information like what your dns is set to.  Instead to a ipconfig /all and post those results.

Has this worked previously?

BTW don't confuse the black command prompt window with DOS.  They are not the same. DOS is a operating system.  Command prompt is not.

Yeah your right about DOS and windows lookalike. Thanks for the reminder, it always confused me. Now did you want to see an ipconfig /all for this working computer or for mine? Either way I'm gonna go do it on my broken one for kokomodrums. Be right back guys! :)

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Ok guys here comes the ipconfig /all results from my computer. After that I'll post them from my fathers computer which is the one that works. Gonna take an hour or so nap. Watching a 2 year old for 7 hours really drains ya! Also, I intend to run the program that ElfBane referred me to... is there anything on there that could cause more problems? Thanks again guys. Here ya go:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Colin-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-61-D4-87
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e8d6:bbc:67ee:c243%13(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.194.67(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218112389
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-AB-94-D6-00-21-85-61-D4-87

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{9A84DAC0-3CF6-4830-AEEC-90BAE7DC6B69}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

C:\Windows\system32>

#9 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Alrighty, I don't know if you need this, but here is the results from the working computer:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Edsdesktop
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cfl.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-37-E6-15-96-4A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bccb:ab01:a7da:33e9%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.143(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 01, 2014 4:58:23 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 04, 2014 4:58:22 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234881388
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-39-03-7F-44-37-E6-15-96-4A

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.32.5.111
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.cfl.rr.com:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:3836:622:3f57:fe70(Prefe
rred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3836:622:3f57:fe70%12(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\windows\system32>

#10 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

OH MY GOSH!!! You won't believe this!

I just turned on the program that ElfBane suggested and it said, "Before running this program please shut down your computer, but also UNPLUG from the wall socket. After that hit the power button a few times. This gets ALL the power out of your computer"

Well I did that and the network is working again! I've shutdown the computer a billion times too.. wow. LOOK at that above list of stuff I tried!!! I literally stayed up until 7am. one day! This is great, thanks everyone :) I knew the answer would come from here, but I didn't think it would be something like THAT! lol

Thanks again,

Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users