Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I remove write-protection on my HDD without losing any files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pod682

pod682

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have windows 7 and a HDD with 3 partitions. Today while I was trying to move a file I noticed one of my partitions was write protected.

After searching online, I noticed many of the solutions are to use cmd/diskpart, but I am not sure if that is a safe choice considering I do not want to lose any data on my partition. Is there a way to remove write protection without losing data? Or is diskpart safe to use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

I don't have all the answers except to say that there's a reason that it's write protected and although I have never tried to get into one of those partitions, I have deleted them many times when reusing an old/used hard drive.

I don't know what your reason might be but if I had to try to get in, I'd try it with Linux, which has no respect for Windows rules and regulations, therefore it may give you access to the contents without damaging them.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Worth A Read, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users