Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update KB2993651 - Why release an update if there are known issues?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Before I tried to install security update 2993651 for Windows 7, I read the details of the update on Microsoft's site. Microsoft indicated that there are known issues with this update: "the windows of certain applications may become invisible or may be incorrectly displayed behind other windows."
Furthermore the update information stated "We are currently working on a resolution for this issue". I decided not to install this security update; my computer is working fine and I don't want to screw it up with this update.

This leads to a general question: Why would Microsoft issue an update with known issues before fixing those issues? And if the issues were discovered after the update was released, why not remove the update until the issues are fixed? What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

I was not aware that MS had made statements like these before this update was released. On top of that, I applied all the updates to the three Win 7 machines in my control and wasn't even aware there was a problem until I came across references to it in the literature one or two days later !

I think the reason it was released even though flawed was because it did fix some critical flaws. The warnings allowed SysAdmins to test it before applying it across their full stock of machines. I agree, this was unfortunate for private users who do not take the opportunity to read MS tech bulletins but, as far as I know, only a small percentage of computers were affected. MS may have seen this as an acceptable risk given the importance of the flaws it was aimed at.

Again, as I understand it, the problems it caused - when it caused them - were fairly easily resolved unlike the update of about a year and a half ago which completely bricked one or two models of Samsung computers and one other manufacturer's and had no effect on any other.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users