Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Freezes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hello. 

I've been having a problem with my computer. It ran without a problem for about a year and a half. I built it myself. I came back from out of town and it was randomly freezing (Windows 7) so I assumed my son had done something to it. I could not find a reason why it was acting the way it did. It just randomly froze. 

So I updated to windows 8.1. It still freezes. I updated my BIOS and it still freezes. I have updated a lot of software but I do not think that is the issue as the problem persist over operating systems and a fresh reformatting. 

I read about the dynamic ticks but it was acting the same in Windows 7 so I do not think that is the problem. My next option is to replace the SSD as it might be corrupt (am I right to consider this?). 

I've attached a text Speccy file. I'm running a pretty fresh installation of Windows 8.1. About a day old. I don't have any crash dump files. I looked for them but I don't think it enabled. 

I hope someone can shed some light on my problem or at least give me some ideas to continue looking into this problem. 

P.S. I hope this is the right forum, but i'm not sure.

Attached File  STEVE_MAIN.txt   101.8KB   3 downloads

Edited by Stevenpfo, 02 September 2014 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

To be clear, 8.1 was not a clean install, but rather an upgrade to 7, correct?

If so, you may have brought along something that makes it freeze, perhaps a driver.

If it is a clean install, one would first suspect the ram and you'd remove and reseat, trying one stick at a time, in different slots.

Beyond that, peripherals can make a system freeze, in fact some can short out the system to the point that it can't boot to Windows, but let's see if the system can be fixed without going into that whole scenario of trying to determine if all the peripherals are good.

BTW: Does your PC have a dedicated graphics card or just imbedded?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the reply rockysosua. When I formatted I deleted everything on the one drive and told it to delete everything on the other (OS drive). It left some files in a windows.old folder. I cleaned that up with Disk Cleanup. 

My PC does have a dedicated video card. (NVidia GTX 670). It runs games fine and the drivers are up to date. The computer crashes regardless of what i'm doing (even if it is idling). 

I can try the RAM removal. The problem is the crashes can take up to 2 hours to happen sometimes. I wish I knew a way to force them. It would make narrowing down the problem a lot easier and quicker.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Freezing problems could also point to a power supply problem or a SSD drive firmware needs updating if not yet done. Since a fresh reinstall have been made and it still freezes, check the steps given by using a spare known good power supply/brand of same or above wattage and post also the computer model or motherboard next time.

Tekken

#5 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Freezing problems could also point to a power supply problem or a SSD drive firmware needs updating if not yet done. Since a fresh reinstall have been made and it still freezes, check the steps given by using a spare known good power supply/brand of same or above wattage and post also the computer model or motherboard next time.

Good call on the SSD firmware. I didn't even think of that. Here are the specs of my computer:

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 30 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77 (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
DELL 2407WFP (1920x1200@59Hz)
AL2216W (1680x1050@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (EVGA) 35 °C
Storage
223GB INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4 (SSD) 26 °C
238GB M4-CT256M4SSD2 (SSD)
Optical Drives
ASUS BC-12B1ST

PSU is 750W

Thanks for the feedback guys!

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

The ram thing is not that inconvenient.

You power down and remove all but one stick and then continue as usual.

If by miracle the problem stops, then you know that one or more of the remaining ram sticks or slots, is the problem.

One by one, you can add memory sticks back in and eventually narrow it down to find the guilty party.

Of course, this is hopeful thinking, as replacing some ram is no big deal.

As the post above suggests, it might even be the power supply, or worse yet, the motherboard, however those are bridges to cross after the ram testing.

If you want something to keep you busy in the meantime, reseat all PSU connectors and all PCI cards. If you have contact cleaner to spray in there, all the better.

Alcohol works pretty well too.

I've had clients come in with PC's that were freezing up, where many of them just needed to have the ram cleaned and reseated, and there were a few that just needed the big PSU connector (20 or 24 pin) to be cleaned and reseated.

So there's certainly no harm in doing that in the meantime.

Some people like to do only one thing at a time, so as to know what the problem was.

I don't care about that as much as most.

All I care about is that the computer works, so I might do 5 things to a machine in an attempt to get it going and then not know for sure which one solved it, but like I said, I really don't care that much.

If the machine is working fine, my mission is accomplished.

I'm not saying that's what others should do. It's just the way I do it, nothing more. Well, maybe it's about time too. If I get too many machines in on the same day, I don't have time to play detective. Get it going well again is the only concern.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'll give it all a try. I'll get back to the thread in a few days (heading out of town for a day or two). All of it are good things to know for the future as well. Thanks again!

#8 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

I had to run out of town for a few days for work. I'm back now. I've checked over the power connections and reseated the RAM. No changes. 

The way it crashes/freezes is a little funny. A program i'm using will freeze up and after a while i'll get a pop up saying that Windows has stopped working, would I like to stop that program. I can move my mouse around both monitors and click on things. As soon as I click on something it also freezes. Including the desktop. I can drag the mouse around and left click but if I right click it will also freeze. 

Possible corrupted hard drive? I'm thinking about doing a fresh reinstall on my other SSD to see if it fixes it. I just wanted to touch base here first to see if someone had any other ideas.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:52 PM

A corrupt hard drive is always a possibility of almost any problem, as it can manifest itself in so many different ways.

A checkdisk is free and easy to do, so there's never any harm in doing it.

When you mentioned that you got a notification sawing Windows has stopped, might it have said "Explorer has stopped"?

One way or another, the checkdisk/repair is a great place to start.

It's been my observation that the standard method of scheduling a diskcheck, has changed in Win 8 and 8.1, in that the checkdisk is done live, rather than at bootup, and it seems flimsy to me.

I never find anything wrong with a disk, doing it that way, yet when I do it by command, it often finds and fixes the HDD, so that would be my suggestion.

You would open the command page with admin rights, and type in,   chkdsk /r C:

You'll be told that Windows can't do it while the system is running and it will offer to schedule it for the next bootup, so you agree with a Y for yes, then hit Enter.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

Possible corrupted hard drive? I'm thinking about doing a fresh reinstall on my other SSD to see if it fixes it.

Did you already check for firmware updates for the SSDs? What brand/model is your PSU?

Tekken

#11 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Possible corrupted hard drive? I'm thinking about doing a fresh reinstall on my other SSD to see if it fixes it.

Did you already check for firmware updates for the SSDs? What brand/model is your PSU?

I have not checked for SSD updates. PSU is a Cooler Master GX 750 W Bronze.

I started the chkdsk /r C: last night. It went up to 15% within 30 minuntes and has remained there all night (approx 15 hours). The HD light is still blinking and the Windows 8 spinning dots have not frozen on the load screen. It is a 250 GB SSD that has a fresh install of windows with updates and driver updates on it. I'll leave it running for now but that seems like an excessive amount of time for type/size of HD. 

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Absolutely excessive, specially for an SSD.

There's no way in the world that it's going to finish, leaving you no choice but to hard kill it.

What we don't know is if it will boot again.

Do you have all the data on that SSD, backed up elsewhere?

If your i5 can't push that SSD through a diskcheck, I'd have to assume that your SSD is in really bad shape.

I wouldn't be surprised if that SSD is toast and that nothing will bring it back.

The only way you'll ever know is to save the data, reinstall Windows, do a diskcheck and see what happens.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thanks, rocky. It's about what I thought (but wasn't sure of). I'll kill it and reboot just to see. There's nothing on there I need. Already backed up what I wanted before I reformatted last time. After I reboot i'll remove that SSD and install Windows on my other SSD and let you know what happens. For the sake of closure, if nothing else. :) 

#14 Stevenpfo

Stevenpfo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

Update: It keeps on attempting to do the  disk check on reboot. It does give me the option to skip it with a count down timer of 1 sec. I must be getting slow in my old age, I can't beat it. I did let it try to fix the disk again. It took 4 minutes to get to 15% and got stuck again. Reinstalling windows on a new drive.

#15 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

Was it the M4 that gave up the ghost or the Intel?

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users