Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound thru HDMI vanished

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdee

Rowdee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

I have been using bsplayer for quite some time for movies and have never had issue with video or sound. Plug the HDMI cable into the laptop fro the tv and go. 2 days ago, sound stopped working. Ive been digging in to everything and seeking outside help to no avail. I miss my movies. I checked every setting for video and son I could and nothing. No sound is channeling to the tv. Thought maybe the cable was bad, but no. The only recent changes have been Aimersoft to convert my Itunes to mp3s and a windows update. Im using win 8.1 on a Lenovo G480 notebook. I went back and reinstalled updated graphics drivers in case it might have affected the HDMI, but still no sound. Video is perfect, HD is just great. Only sound is the notebook. Im out of ideas and getting zero response from bsplayer and some other tech forums. Nothing to do but keep trying. Any help or ideas that I havent tried yet would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Does the sound now come out of your speakers when you have the HDMI cable supplying video to your TV, or no sound at all?

Have you looked at the Playback devices in "sound" to see if the HDMI option appears?

Is your HDMI output coming from a graphics card or the motherboard?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

When I plug the HDMI into the tv, the sound no longer plays thru the tv, it remains playing on the notebook. Ive checked my sound config and everything seems og. The graphics is an onboard intel chip. I updated the drivers to the most current and rechecked the configs. At this point I have no idea. Maybe something happened durin g the win update that changed a config that I dont know.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Have you right clicked on your volume icon and chosen "Playback Devices" to open a window that will show you both the regular audio that would go to your speakers, as well as the HDMI audio for your TV?

You need to assure that the HDMI option is there, and if so, that is is set as the default for when it's plugged into the TV.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

The HDMI doesnt show there. Ive dug in to that too. Thats why I updated drivers for video.

Edited by Rowdee, 02 September 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

Another development. My tv icon does appear in playback list. I tested the sound and voila, it does play thru the tv. It does not play in any players.. windows media player.. none of the. I tested it on youtube also....nothing. Something has hijacked my media players I guess. Any thoughts

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

What sound plays through to the TV, if not the media players and internet browsers?

Are you saying that the HDMI audio is now showing as one of the playback devices?

I just need to understand exactly what the status is, if I hope to have anything intelligent to suggest.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

I opened the playback list and plugged the hdmi back in and it shows my tv. I ran config and tested and it played loud and clear thru the tv. I opened youtube and plugged in a song and it did NOT play on the tv. I checked all the media players i have and none of them played sound. only video. at least its something, but why would all my media players not play sound. I can hear them on my notebook, but not on tv

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm trying to understand it myself, but still need the answer to my question.

What sound is playing through to the TV?

If it's not the media players and it's not from internet browsers, where is the sound coming from that goes to the TV by HDMI?

All is well in Paradise.

#10 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

LOL, I selected tv as the default and it works. i guess the only question left is why did it suddenly just decide not to auto switch. been great for months. never had to manually switch it ttill now.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

All is well that ends well.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 Rowdee

Rowdee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

Just to clear up that last bit for you, when I open the playback list and the tv is engaged on hdmi, you can click config and theres a test button for sound ..thru that particular default. its just a test sound, but it lets you know its working. after that, just selected my tv as default and all is normal. it auto switches to laptop when the hdmi is disconnected. when I reconnect the tv takes over and sound is heard over it. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users