Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hey, I just got a new laptop that came preinstalled with Norton Internet Secuirties 2006, it's a 1yr subscription...I discovered that it disliked the windows firewall...The computer also came preinstalled with Spysweeper.

I was going to download spybot s&d and adaware se...Any possible conflict between the programs?

Thanks
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

No conflicts with either Spybot or Ad-aware. Go ahead and use them both in addition to what you have.

I would also recommend using these free programs:
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Sweet... SpySweeper. If you're willing to pay it's moderate price, I'd do so. SpySweeper is one of the top 3 anti-spyware products in the world and my personal favorite. Also, try using Ewido Anti-Malware with the three other free anti-spyware programs quiteman7 recommened which can be acquire here: www.ewido.net
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

As quietman7 said,everything should be fine. The reason that NIS does not like the Windows Firewall is because it comes with its own,which is more powerful than the Windows one,everythings fine there. Just make sure its using the Norton one you are using,by default it should have turned the windows one off automatically.
You can check by going to the Contral Panel and selecting Security Centre and use the drop down arrow next to Firewall and see if it says its Nortons!
One other anti malware programme i suggest downloading is ewido,it picks up things some others dont,but then thats why its best to have different anti-spyware programmes,as they may find things others have missed,non are 100% proof,so having a few,gets you closer to that 100% as you can be.
The only thing you need just the one of is an anti-virus,which you have.

Find ewido here:

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Just remember to update everything before you scan :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:24 PM

Right, thanks guys..I was going to stick to those 2 because I figured it might be overkill, but I will add those others as well...Windows firewall was turned off :thumbsup: I turned it back on and got that notice. I stayed with nortan because I know widows dosent block outgoing, figured norton would...

Spysweeper was preinstalled, already paied for... Norton was only a one year subscription, but I'll probably renew it...

And I'll make sure the auto updaters are on ;)

This is ment to be a college pc for me, so I'm rather motivated to keep it clean..As it was a gift...Lets not go into the family pc...

Thanks again for the help, and I know where to come if I run into problems

Edited by Ngarskel, 06 June 2006 - 12:25 PM.

"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

You are welcome,Happy browsing! :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

... Norton was only a one year subscription, but I'll probably renew it...

If you'd rather not pay ~$100 for security, I'd recommend continue paying for SpySweeper, but you can check out your alternatives to paid AV products. Here are three of the best free AV products:

AVG Free
AntiVir
Bit Defender 8

AVG Free is a favorite of many of the mods, admins, and such acknoledged computer experts here at BC, although AntiVir is in with some of the experts as well. Bit Defender is a favorite at several other security communities which is why it is recommended. My personal favorite is AVG Free and according to one Moderator here, he thought is was so much better than McAfee that he dropped McAfee (he still had a couple of months left) and switched to AVG and according to him, he hasn't had a virus go unremoved yet.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#8 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Well, Now I know what to get when I HAVE a home internet connection that I can use.....Figures it breaks...But I'm tempted to keep norton just so I dont have to try and uninstall the beast... Thanks for the AV recomendations though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users