Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using pc as modem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhamaxis

rhamaxis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

I have a windows xp home sp3. I am currently using it to bridge the wireless card to the ethernet port to get xbox live. The computer has a ton of background processes that bog down the internet to the point netflix is a hassle. is there a way to trick the computer into thinking it offline while still having the internet pass throught to my xbox?

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2014 - 05:12 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Computers don't work like that so no you can't "trick" the computer.  You can uninstall apps you are no longer using.  You can using MSconfig stop programs from loading at startup.  You can make sure to run disk cleanup and defrag the drive which will help.

#3 rhamaxis

rhamaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Done all that but still crap

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Go to speedtest.net and do a broadband test.  What is your down and up?

Reason why you don't have a home router?

Bring up task manager and post a pic of the Performance tab.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 September 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#5 rhamaxis

rhamaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Got slo connection as it is best i could get was 24mbps but the background noise dropped it to around 1. Now im gettin 54 droppin to 36 so problem kind of fixed itself. While its not gaming speeds really just wanted netflix so not worried about making it better. Thanks for tryin to help though

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I only have 28down and 5up and Netflix runs no problem.  No reason not to have a router with that bandwidth.  You will be safer and happier with your internet access if you get one.

#7 rhamaxis

rhamaxis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

Should probably note that im using my neighbors internet. Kind of down on my look and hes a good guy. My computer ive had since highschool and (as a young stupid kid) its was full of useless stupid programs probably need to do a clean install but dont have the product code for the os so figured tricking it would have been easier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users