Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook pro won't turn on unless charger is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carlor86

carlor86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in 2011. I'm currently running OS X Mavericks 10.9.4.

Recently I've been having a very bizarre problem when I start up my computer. If the computer is shut off and unplugged it will not turn unless I plug in the charger. Once it has started up however, I can freely remove the charger and the computer still works.  I appear to still get a regular charge and am able to use my computer until the battery is depleted.  This also happens if my computer goes to sleep for more than a few seconds.  I can't wake it up again until the charger is plugged in, but after that I am able to unplug it. Before this problem started happening, if my computer was in sleep mode I could press the space bar or tap the mouse to get it to wake up, but now I can only press the power button (only when it's plugged in) and when I do, it will bring me to a loading screen (which looks like this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1757) before I am able to sign in.  I've also noticed that when it is unplugged it will say 99% or 98% battery even if I've been using it for a few hours. Once I plug the charger back in, it will display the actual battery percentage.

What I've tried so far: Initially I thought that maybe the battery was dying. I looked at the status of my battery and the number of cycles. Under the health information on my battery it says that the cycle count is 281 and the condition is listed as normal. I've attached the rest of the battery information in case it helps in anyway.http://imgur.com/zqd3vdH

After this I tried resetting the SMC as I have read that this can sometimes fix battery and power issues. The first time I did it the fans on my computer went crazy but I was able to turn the computer on without the charger. I shut down the computer and tried resetting the SMC again. The fans shut off but my problem came back.

Next, I figured that if I reformatted the computer this might fix my problem. It didn't. I completely wiped the hard drive and reinstalled OS X Maverick but I'm still having this issue.

I tried to reset the PRAM but no luck. I tried one final time to reset the SMC but that failed to work, again.

I have just recently bought a desktop PC but I need this laptop to take with me to classes. Most of my classes have one or two outlets that are always taken up by other people, so it would be difficult for me to keep using the computer the way it is. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like a defective battery to me...doesn't sound like power supply/power port or the logic board.

For a 2011 MacBook Pro the battery should be removable so you could try to source a new one online and try that.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Would be nice to have a new battery to test with...but the info in link below might be the solution. If you haven't already

followed the instructions given there.

Fully draining/recalibrating a MBP battery - MacRumors Forums

QUOTE one post:

I seem to have fixed it by following the instructions found on this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10426564-263.html

I did three things:

1. The calibration run-down (i.e. running the battery to zero and leaving it unused overnight)

2. Resetting the PRAM

3. Booting into safe mode, and then restarting

It's quite strange but the battery was draining quickly before I did this at around 50% of remaining juice, and since then it's been draining very slowly indeed. I've no idea what the issue was.

Oh, and I also switched down the backlight about a notch or two. I think the PRAM reset might have reset the backlight optimisation, because I don't think it was happening previously.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users