Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to login

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bal53

bal53

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi guys, I'm facing a strange problem.

Whenever I boot up my laptop, I cannot login to Windows as the keyboard stops functioning. The trackpad goes dead as well. I've also tried to boot up my laptop in safe mode but same thing happens there as well.

I'm sure this is not a hardware issue as keyboard works just fine before the login screen shows up. 

Any ideas guys what should I do now?

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5520.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

I am not sure this will work but In the lower left corner of the login screen  is an icon (Ease of Access) Click it and a windows should open. Select Onscreen Keyboard and click apply. The onscreen keyboard should appear. Use that to login to your account. If you have a restore point, do a system restore to a time before the problem happened.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the trackpad non-function at startup. I would follow sflatechguy's good advice on this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Try attaching a USB mouse and keyboard. If you can log into Windows with those, go into Device Manager, expand the Keyboard and Mice sections, and check if there are any yellow warning icons or red Xs on any of them. If there is a red X, right click and try to enable it. If there is a yellow warning icon, try disabling and re-enabling it to reload the drivers, or reinstall/update the drivers for them. You'll have to download them from Dell's website: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/drivers

#4 tech_surf

tech_surf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

it seems windows is not lolading keyboard and moue driver.

use easeof access to open virtual keyboard then use external mouse to type.

once logged in rightclick mycomputer>manage>device management

there you will see both keyboard and touchpad listed..right click and disable then enable.

update drivers..

#5 bal53

bal53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well I couldn't access the on-screen keyboard as built-in mouse isn't working and I don't have an external usb mouse, although I've ordered one but there's still some time before it's delivered.

So I tried to repair my system with the windows disk and after repairing, keyboard started working but trackpad was still dysfunctional. Upon opening the device manager, I saw that there was no entry of mouse in it. So I downloaded and installed the latest version of mouse drivers from dell website and restarted the system.

After restarting, the trackpad is still not working and still there's no entry of mouse in the device manager.

I really don't know guys what's wrong with my trackpad. Please help!

Edited by bal53, 02 September 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

You can usually enable/disable the trackpad on a Dell laptop by pressing Fn and F3 at the same time. Try that.

If that doesn't work, if you go into Device Manager, are there any Unknown Devices listed? If so, then the touchpad driver either didn't install correctly or the cable inside the laptop is faulty or loose.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

If the track pad enable/disable button does not work, visually inspect all of your usb ports for damage, shorting pins etc. Sometimes a broken usb port will cause other usb devices to malfunction, the built in keyboard, mouse, and webcam generally use usb bus's so this may be the cause.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

There's a System Restore option in the Repairs section that you went to with your repair disc.

You may be able to restore it to a date that precedes the issue.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users