Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MENS1

MENS1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

I think that someone on my homenetwork is spying on me, how can I find out? I do not share a computer but I do share an internet connection as well as a router with 4 other computers. I have changes in my registry that I didn't make and everytime I run a spyware scan it finds all kinds of crap!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:57 AM

Malware will add/change registry values...what makes you think it is someone on your network and not a malicious program you became infested with from the web? First of all, you should make sure your home network is secured so that no one outside of your house can access it without authentication.

Can you describe what your scanners are finding or any symptoms your PC is showing? Perhaps it is a malware infection that we could help you remove, as opposed to a hack from someone on your network.

Also, make sure you are running a firewall (other than Windows Firewall), as this will prevent any unauthorized traffic. Also make sure your system is fully updated.

Here is a link to some freeware replacements to commercial anti-malware products in case you need some:

Freeware Replacements...

If you aren't experiencing a sluggish PC, browser hijacks, or any other noticeable and persistent malware symptoms then your situation probably isn't very severe, in which case it can be removed with scanners, common tools, tutorials, etc...

Do you have any reason to believe that someone on your network would want to spy on you or hack your PC?

Please let me know, and good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Harry83, 07 June 2006 - 03:58 AM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:14 AM

Okay to continue our PM convo...

First thing you need to do to post a HJT log in the appropriate forum is go to this link...it's a step by step preparation guide that you should complete before posting a log:

Instruction/Prep Guide

Don't worry about step 1 and 2 because you already have an account...if you don't have email notification setup then either check the forum frequently or do Step 2...

Now I will try and clarify the rest of the steps for you to eliminate confusions:

Step 3

Click on the "Start" menu which is in the lower left corner of your screen and then select "Run." Type the word "cleanmgr" into the box that appears and click "OK." When scanning is complete a window will appear. Make sure a check is placed next to:
Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin

Step 4

Just download Spybot and Adaware from the links in the guide and run those scanners. The directions are very comprehensive.

Step 5

Use one of the online scanners listed. Click on one of the links and perform the scan based upon the website's directions. You must be using Internet Explorer for online scanners to work.

Step 6

Download and run McAfee AVERT Stinger from the provided link in the guide. Run it by double clicking on the download file. Make sure you check the "Auto Clean" option before you run the scan...Note: some of these scans take a while so try and be patient.

Step 7

Skip this step for now since you already said you can't enable your firewall...Make sure you talk to your Network administrator about the "group policy" thing that is blocking you from enabling a firewall.

Step 8

Download the latest version of HJT from the following link:

HijackThis Download Site

You need to make sure HJT is unzipped to its own folder.

Here's how to make a permanent folder:
Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Step 9

Add a new topic to the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum by going to the following link:

HJT Forum

Copy and Paste the notepad log that HJT creates in it's folder into the body of your post...Make sure you describe the problem in your subject line. You can add a brief description of the problem before you paste your log into it as well. Make sure you post the entire log.

Please note: Do not try to fix any problems with HJT yourself. This is an advanced tool and requires expert analysis.

Finally, it may take a few days for one of our expert helpes to get to your log because we are very busy. Please try to be patient and do not add any posts. Helpers look for threads with 0 posts to determine the order in which people get helped. Also, try not to alter your system so that the log is up to date when a helper gets to you.

I hope this clears up any confusion!!! :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#4 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:35 AM

Oh 1 more thing! You told me in PM that you don't know anything about computers! Better not poke around too much in your registry if that's the case... :thumbsup: Also, how do you know there are changes to your registry?
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:33 AM

CAUTION: Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own

This user has been answering all of my questions in PM instead of posting...we had a big long PM convo...they weren't actually looking in the registry but rather making assumptions based off of what their AV scanner was telling them
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:02 PM

It would simpify everyone's effort, including the original poster, if the help were to be confined either to this thread or to PMs. We are working at cross-purposes here if parts of the discussion are omited.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users