Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a Microsoft account

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Several times now I have started to make a MS account as I'd like to get some feedback on issues but they ask for first and last name, birthday, zip code.  I guess I could make a bogus email account and give all made up info.  I'd assume some of you interact with the Microsoft technet forums, any thoughts?

BAH! Sorry all, meant to post this in general chat...

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2014 - 12:08 PM.
Moved from Gen Security to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

I tend to tailor the accuracy of information I supply to the 'purpose' and trust level of the prospective account. So a primary email account or a respectable forum would probably get relatively accurate info. Official (government, bank etc) registrations would be 100% accurate. Registrations to untrusted sites would get less accurate info (including a representative but munged postcode (uk equivalent of zip code).

I tend to be very cagey about date of birth as this is a very common security question. If the question is compulsory but the site status does not warrant an accurate answer, then I put something representative in...

For an MS or let's say Apple account - that would for me fall into the trusted (did I really say that :rolleyes:) but not official category.

Obviously you are trusting personal information into others care, so usual good security precautions are sensible. Use a good password and use different passwords for each site (yes, I know its a pain, but it's even more of a pain when your saving emigrate to Russia!)

x64

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have come across the same cruelty as you on the microsoft site , SO MANY pages are behind login walls. I would strongly advise you use a "real"(an email account that might not be under your name but is regularly used by you and regularly checked which you intend to keep using for decades to come for your "secondary importance" stuff) and reliable (once again i mean one you will return to not one you make for the course of 20 minutes then forget and abandon) email account just incase you ever need to use the microsoft account again and ms have a system in place whereby they will not let multiple accounts be created from the same IP address or (if they can access machine data when one visits their site) where they will not let multiple accounts be created by the same machine. I think they (ms) demand phone verification during set up of a microsoft account so a "use quickly and dump forever" email would do little for privacy anyway.

I would advise against, assuming you have a choice in future, using an ms account on your computer .they want people to migrate from local ("i am admin of the machine in the corner of my bedroom, i rule every byte and bit on it") to cloud based ( "i possess an account on a remote server which stores all my files and settings and lets me access them on any physical machine i care to try logging in from, like gmail but for everything not just email") services but doing so has huge risks attached and much potential for data loss due to overly connected systems with a lack of redundancy.

as for the process of setting one up, i'm sure they've made it as easy as possible, they want people to use those accounts afterall.

X64 is more or less spot on with his point of using different levels of truth for dealing with sites of different levels of trustworthyness. False dates of birth are a good idea on everything but your important ( and official )accounts, this is because many services use date of birth as one of, or scarily sometimes the only, way of performing "account recovery" and "i forgot my password" operations. This means that for something important(primary email, official stuff, primary backup site, probably your ms account as well) it is good to use your real one but for something not-so-important ( your average forum, a news site that wants sign up before you can comment, anything you even remotely suspect might be untrustworthy but you want to have some sort of account with anyway)should get a false one as giving them the real one would possibly enable them to compromise one of the important accounts. This is the same principle as the dangers of password re-use. I think ms can be trusted with house address, phone number, a "real"(as defined above) email or an actual real email. It is still a shame they want that before they will talk to you.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

To me, if I see a reason to have my real info-I give it, like say newegg-I am giving them money they are shipping me a product, so they get my real info. If there is no legitimate reason-as all theyre going to use my info for is to "further their product" and send me junk, then chances are they arnt going to get my real info. Pretty much, if no money/products are going to change hands, then my real info likely isnt either.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Microsoft Services Agreement - 2. Microsoft account

2.1. What is a Microsoft account? Microsoft account is a service that lets you sign in to Microsoft products, websites and services, as well as those of select Microsoft partners. When creating a Microsoft account we ask you to provide certain information, like your name and password, birth date, certain demographic information, and security information such as an alternate email address or phone number. The email address or user name that you use to create your Microsoft account will be unique to you for as long as your Microsoft account is still active. In the event your Microsoft account is closed either by you or by Microsoft pursuant to the terms of this Agreement, the email address or user name may be recycled into our system and assigned to another user. Existing Microsoft account holders may need to provide security information to continue using their Microsoft account... Please review the Privacy Statements (as defined below) to understand how Microsoft collects and uses the information associated with your Microsoft account.

Microsoft.com Privacy Statement

Cookies & Similar Technologies
Information We Collect
How We Use Your Personal Information
Reasons We Share Your Personal Information
Accessing Your Personal Information
Microsoft account
Other Important Privacy Information

How do I sign up for a Microsoft account?

To use any Microsoft services, you need to create a Microsoft accountan email address and password that you use to sign in to all Microsoft sites and services, including Outlook.com, Xbox Live, OneDrive, and Office 365. You can also use a Microsoft account to sign in to your Windows Phone and to PCs running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1.

Why do I need to verify my email address?

We require that you verify your email address when you use it to create a Microsoft account or when you add it to your existing Microsoft account. That way, we can verify that the email address doesn't belong to someone else. To sign in to Microsoft products and services, you have to verify your email address. When you sign up or add an email address to your account, you automatically receive an email request to verify your address.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

While I was trying to set up Microsoft Office 365 on my home laptop (Win 8), because I had no E-mail client on the new machine - my E-mail was still on a physically separate machine (XP so I didn't want to put it online) - the Microsoft tech (on the phone) made me set up not one but two Microsoft accounts, one using my old and still valid mail address (unchanged since 1999, known worldwide to people who frequent my particular areas of expertise, and I DO NOT want to change it) and another using a brand new G-mail address they set up for me.  The whole thing was a big PITA and took several hours.  I can now use Office 365 with either mail address (though in fact I have only the old one set up on Outlook where I now conduct my unfortunately voluminous E-mail ... I am owner or moderator of an ungodly number of more or less technical mailing lists, that goes with having lived so long you become an "expert" in something (or several somethings . . .)

My late enormously learned friend Dr. Dan Belkin had a visiting card that read "Dr. Pompous, Expert".  That is more or less the way I feel about being a so-called "expert".  The other side of that coin is the obligation, if you know something others don't, you have a moral obligation to impart it to anyone interested.  Well, that's pretty much how BC operates, if I have understood correctly   I have been a teacher since the age of 15 (I am now 82) and I still feel that way.  So if/when I ever get out from under my current crisis mode, fighting the battles of the California Drought (I am GM of a small struggling rural Water District in the San Joaquin Valley) I will probably want to sign up as an apprentice to the malware team on this site.  If, that is, my ancient brain is still up to the job :)

So far I have experienced no adverse effects from those Microsoft accounts, but being an old reactionary I don't like anybody telling me what I must or must not do :(

For Dan Belkin,see http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/belkin.htm ... which is only one aspect, he was one of the most learned biologists I have ever known, and that covers a lot of Nobel Prize territory ...my mentor Konrad Lorenz got one while I was there, and he wasn't the only one . . .

All of which is supremely irrelevant to the purposes of BC, so I apologize for getting personal.  That happens to old people, or so I am told :)

John

#7 BitMonk

BitMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

You all are 'over and above' with your replies. You time and thoughts are appreciated! I would have responded yesterday but internet was down.
Mainly I wanted to get on the forums to get some specific MS questions answered and I agree with the ideas expressed. I'll get busy and get it done as I do have a couple of email addresses that will last and I do check regularly that are not used for friends and family. One of them is with my community college. I was privileged to have several courses taught by the school's network administrator and he indicated we will always have that account as we need to access records for many years after we graduate.
Thanks again.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#9 princecharming

princecharming

• Banned Spammer
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:01 AM

Hello all newbies, how are you all. I am Prince Charming from United State Of America. I am an artist as well as i love to meet new people ans make new friends also. I love to make new accounts in different different websites and now i want to making a Microsoft Account. So please tell me what should i do for making a Microsoft Account. I am waiting for your response friends.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:42 AM

How do I sign up for a Microsoft account?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users