Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Settings lost on reboot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Auranneito

Auranneito

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

New computer, Windows 8.1, everything working fine so far, except: all changes to settings done in Control Panel (from desktop) are lost on restarting computer. It's somehow defaulting to never updating Windows, and the power settings are also reset etc. (haven't checked every possible setting, but seems to be a general reset to some sort of undesirable default). Have searched widely for solution to this, and can't find anything, other than a ref. to registry key NoSaveSettings problems, but this doesn't occur anywhere in my registry. Checked for viruses with Malwarebytes and M. Antirootkit, and Bitdefender. I'm not aware of any installed programs likely to do this. Any ideas on this welcome, as I'm completely at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I remember a virus of years ago that did what yours is doing now, as if each time you log in, you're a new user and it doesn't remember all the settings from the last session.

The only reason I mention it is to ask if MB did find anything, and if so, what was it.

As well as to suggest scanning with Free Superantispyware (be careful to decline the trial version) and to scan with your AV program.

It might not be a virus at all, but until there's a better suggestion, it may be worth scanning.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Auranneito

Auranneito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, I've scanned again with all these things. Just some tracking cookies and infected emails which were never opened, so nothing active. I've found a scatter of refs. to this sort of problem in various versions of Windows, without any real solution. I've now changed settings in Group Policy editor, and these seem to have stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users