Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete downloaded aug updates....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

Hello ,

I've been looking for a solution for the bad batch of updates in august

My laptop Lenovo Thinkpad Win 8.1 64 bit was on "auto updates"  but the updates, after several tries failed to install..and since have been withdrawn by MS.. Since then I've changed update settings.. but those useless files still in my update folder , and I have no clue how to  get rid of them.

Details as follows :

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976627)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2966826)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2918614)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976897)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2978668)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2993651)

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2981580)

Thanks in advance.. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

The Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 7 and 8.1 is suppose to clean up updates, give it a try.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

.. but those useless files still in my update folder , and I have no clue how to  get rid of them.

Could you provide the location of this "update folder"?

#4 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

hello dc3..

Thanks for the response..  disk cleanup won't get rid of it , ran it twice , second time unchecked all boxes.. still no joy.

Is there an other way?

#5 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi Agouti ,

Ty for  responding..

Files appear to be in the Windows update  folder..but there's no option to delete them..

Anyone knows if there's a new update to replace these botched ones ?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

There is another alternative, these are not large files, so you could just leave them and forget them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Files appear to be in the Windows update  folder..but there's no option to delete them..

That still doesn't describe where this "Windows update folder" is located.

#8 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi Agouti ,

Sorry, assumed it was all in the Win update folder , done some searching , these files appear to be in

C\ Windows > Servicing > packages .

I guess they could be just left alone, but I get reminded every day to install these "important updates" 

and when  MS finally releases new ones I'll be forever have to try to avoid these .

I'd be happy just to remove them from the Win Update folder , is there a way of doing that ?

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

@pcblues,

1.  First of all, DO NOT interfere with the folder in C:\Windows\servicing\Packages.  It is a System folder and you should not tamper with any System files or folders.

2.  I have gone through all the KB numbers in your first post and none of them correspond to the bad August updates.  All the update numbers in your first post, with the exception of KB2993651, were part of the August batch of updates, but just because they were included in that batch it doesn't mean they were all bad.

3.  The bad August updates were KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331.  This ZDNet article was one of many that reported the issue.  Furthermore, Microsoft has withdrawn these updates so you shouldn't be getting notifications about them.

4.  Although 4 bad updates were reported, you may not have all 4 on your system as some may be for other Windows versions (e.g. Windows 7).

5.  On my own Windows 8.1 system I only found KB2982791 and KB2975719 which I uninstalled via Control Panel→Programs and Features.

6.  On August 27, Microsoft released KB2993651 which is suppose to fix the issues although it is reported in some quarters to still have bugs.  Personally, I have installed this update and haven't experienced any issues.

7.  On September 2 (i.e. yesterday), Microsoft re-released KB2982791 which is also supposed to be fixed.  I have also just now installed this update and I haven't seen any issues so far.

Once again, I don't know where you got your information from, but the KB's in your first post are not the ones that were reported as the bad August updates.

Edited by Agouti, 03 September 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

3.  The bad August updates were KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331.

There were two others in August, KB2976897 and KB2970228.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

3.  The bad August updates were KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331.

There were two others in August, KB2976897 and KB2970228.

KB2970228 was already mentioned in my post.

However, as you mentioned it, I did search and find mention of KB2976897 misbehaving.  It's strange though because I have had this update on my system since August 12th without issues.  I suppose it's the usual story of some people being affected whereas others are fine.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

If I remember correctly, this may be because it only effects the computer if certain applications are run.

#13 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

Wow ,

Agouti , thanks for the detailed reponse.. first I never planned to change/delete anything from the " packages" folder ,

just wanted to find where these files were stored.

I  have tried installing the  above  updates,  probably 4-5 times.. every time it failed , then a few days later i saw all

the drama and , so I assumed I had a lucky escape & waited for new ones to come out.

This laptop just under a year old, never had  any problems with updates before and was planning on checking  on new

ones manually for the time being.

Oh , i did  quite a bit of searching and tried to find the reason for this, @ the Microsoft site they had a  repair tool ( sorry i cant remember the name and since deleted it ) that promised to sort any issues..  ran it,, it assured me the update would work .. but still no joy.

Soo...I'd appreciate any suggestions why the installation failed and ways to solve it... I'd  be very grateful !!

Thanks for taking the time to help !

Cheers :)

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

- There're A LOT OF things that could have gone wrong. Windows is VERY complicated.

- There's a good program that can help although there's no guarantee it will. "Windows Repair"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

Follow the instructions provided. Disable internet & antivirus and run it with the first 5 repairs and with "Windows Update" selected. If that doesn't work then run it with all the "Default" repairs selected. The program can take a very significant time to run, (depending on the amount of files and the CPU speed).

#15 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hello Willy,

Thanks for your post !

Lol yes about Windows being complicated..  found some screenshots of the MS repair I ran..see attached pic's.. BUT things still didn't work..  Re reading Atougi's comments , it's possible KB2976897

is the culprit , maybe I should try again without  it . If it doesn't work i'll try the recommended Win all in One repair..

Cheers :)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users