Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New Home Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rolorichards914

Rolorichards914

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

Hello,

The maximum budget for my new computer is £470.00

The computer will be used for quite a few things. I am looking to make some home movies on premiere pro, create music on Cubase as well as running the typical office programs. 

I will install CS6 Master Collection, Cubase 7, Sibelius 7, Microsoft Office 2010 

The only game I will play on the PC will be The Sims 3, which, as far as I know, isn't a very demanding game.

Sometimes, I leave windows open when working between programs, e.g. between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

A lot of files will be stored on the PC so I am looking for at least 1TB HDD. 2TB HDD would be prefered, however.

Specs I am looking for:  8GB RAM, some form of graphics card (not integrated), preferably an intel processor (although AMD will be fine) and I would not like it to be an AIO PC.

Many Thanks for your help,

Rowan.:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi Rolorichards914 and :welcome:

Yes AIO PC or ready configuration is not good to buy.

So show us the shop where you are going to buy.

Thank you!

#3 Rolorichards914

Rolorichards914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm looking to shop on any online UK website, amazon, PCworld etc or even US websites that deliver to UK. I don't know of any local shops that do computers. Will definitely pop in to PCworld though! :D

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Any peripherals? OS? Will you be overclocking?

EDIT: Any plans on SLI/Crossfire?

EDIT: This is the closest price I could get without sacrificing too much on performance.

470 British Pound Sterling = 772.53 US Dollar

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qszn99

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($77.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $771.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 12:14 EDT-0400

Edited by Zerue, 04 September 2014 - 11:15 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($77.98 @ OutletPC) 

Do it 2x4GB to use dual channel

Yes this site I could not remember.Know it from here.

Thank you!

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

there is the UK pc part picker. it lists the merchants that ship to UK

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Do it 2x4GB to use dual channel

Yes this site I could not remember.Know it from here.

Thank you!

didnt use the 2x4 for more upgradeability since OP plans to use RAM Hungry processes. 

EDIT : 

there is the UK pc part picker. it lists the merchants that ship to UK

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Oops, forgot that one. Thanks.

Edited by Zerue, 04 September 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#8 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

didnt use the 2x4 for more upgradeability since OP plans to use RAM Hungry processes.

The motherboard has 4 slots so there is a place to upgrade.

#9 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

The motherboard has 4 slots so there is a place to upgrade.

yes, and using 1x8 of ram (for now) will allow him to use 32 gigs of ram in total later on without having to sell/discard his current stick of ram. By using 2x4s (now) he will only be limiting himself to 16 gigs, unless he plans to get 4x8s later on to maximize the ram slots but doing so is not cost efficient. Not to mention the performance boost by using 2x4 vs 1x8 is only about 10% faster anyway. But i guess you already knew that.

#10 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

After Effects CC (2014) system requirements and language versions
Windows

Intel Core2 Duo or AMD Phenom II processor with 64-bit support
    Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
    4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)

Supported GPUs for ray-traced 3D renderer I see only Nvidia Cuda.I prefer Nvidia card.Yes I am not familiar with those programs.

After Effects CS6 system requirements

Windows

Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
    Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. See the CS6 FAQ for more information about Windows 8 support.*
    4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)

So I think no need K CPU to overclock and this fan,especially using this motherboard,because the result will be no satisfying.If someone does not know how to overclock I do not recommend.So may put 2x8GB

because this:

Sometimes, I leave windows open when working between programs, e.g. between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

will be faster.

Thank you!

#11 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

Supported GPUs for ray-traced 3D renderer I see only Nvidia Cuda.I prefer Nvidia card.Yes I am not familiar with those programs.

Personally, I like Nvidia too. But this time, going Nvidia would likely hurt his budget. Can you recommend something else so we can help the OP? I think the GTX 750ti would bottleneck the system and the GTX 760 costs a bit more. Help me out here! LOL. 

Oh, BTW Ray tracing does not require an NVIDIA card. GPU acceleration of the ray tracing does. :)

So I think no need K CPU to overclock and this fan,especially using this motherboard,because the result will be no satisfying.If someone does not know how to overclock I do not recommend.

Yep. Overclocking is not necessarily required however this will significantly improve the overall performance of his build. Overclocking is not as hard as it was before. With a few presses and clicks, you can now overclock your system. Heck, they can even overclock with a single click while being on windows instead of the bios/uefi. But i guess you already knew that. 

--------------

So may put 2x8GB because this:

will be faster.

I thought you said 2x4 earlier... anyhoo... If you meant 2x8gb then i completely agree.

-------------

#12 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

Yes I said 2x4GB before because of dual channel and faster transfer.2x8GB is also dual channel and I changed my mind after system

requirements have seen.

Yes overclock is easier but if something goes damaged I thing no longer warranty so at own risk.

R9 270 is 256 bit while GTX 750Ti is 128 bit so no place to compare.GTX660 is more expensive.So R9270 is maybe wright choice.

So choose H97 and ordinary Core i5 box, 4460 is new.No need 650 watt Gold PSU.And put 2x8GB RAM.

I suggest so.

Thank you!

#13 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yes I said 2x4GB before because of dual channel and faster transfer.2x8GB is also dual channel and I changed my mind after system

requirements have seen.

Yes overclock is easier but if something goes damaged I thing no longer warranty so at own risk.

R9 270 is 256 bit while GTX 750Ti is 128 bit so no place to compare.GTX660 is more expensive.So R9270 is maybe wright choice.

So choose H97 and ordinary Core i5 box, 4460 is new.No need 650 watt Gold PSU.And put 2x8GB RAM.

I suggest so.

Thank you!

I only suggested a 650 watt gold and the Z97 just in case the OP wants to overclock. Will post a different setup later when I get home. The only thing im concerned is the I5, if we are not gonna overclock, can we suggest an I7? I think OP will greatly benefit from the Hyperthreading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users