Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Gaming PC - Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bf825

bf825

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:17 AM

So, I've made the decision to move from console to PC gaming and I'm completely new to everything that is associated with building a PC.

I've watched a couple build videos and discussed part selection with friends who have already build their own PC. I've got a budget of around about $2000 but thats not necessarily including peripherals as i need a keyboard, mouse and monitor (already got a headset and some speakers). I'd be using this PC for playing most modern games but also doing some cg rendering and architectural graphic design. After some thought and discussion with friends i've come up with a build that i'm pretty much happy with and i won't be making to many changes.

Here's the build:

CPU = intel i7 4790  ($339)

GPU = Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780 3GB ($549)

RAM = Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (might be replaced with G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3) ($219 or $$176)

MOTHERBOARD = AsRock Fatal1 ty H97 Performance MotherBoard ($129)

SSD = Samsung Evo 250GB SSD ($139)

HDD = Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($65)

CASE = CoolerMaster Cosmos SE Full Tower with window ($169)

WI-FI = D-Link DWA-556 Wireless N600 Dual Band PCI-E Adaptor ($39)

PSU = Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Source ($249)

OPTICAL DRIVE = Asus DRW 24D3ST 24x DVD Writer ($25)

Keyboard/Mouse = Cooler master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle ($45)

MONITOR = AOC 12367FH 23 inch Widescreen IPS Monitor

+ 2 or 3 cables

Total = $$2423

Although this is a bit above my original budget I'm happy with this price, unless I can get stuff cheaper anywhere, as its still less than $2000 spent on the actual PC.
I'd be really helpful if someone could answer these questions for me:

1. Are all the parts compatible???

2. I've heard the cooler master case on my list might not fit my gtx780 graphics card. Is this true??? If so, another suggestion from a friend is the Corsair C70 case, would this work better??? or is there another case i should look into. ON further research i found out that with the hard dive bays opposite the GPU in, that I should still have 1 cm of leeway but ca anyone confirm or correct me on this???

3. Should I get myself another fan for the case or are the 3-4 supplied in cases usually enough for gaming and rendering.

4. Should i get windows 7 or 8.1 as I've heard from some that 8.1 is often unstable for gaming whilst others say they have had no problems with it at all.

5. A couple changes I might make is the replacement of the current monitor with one from a more trusted brand. And I might buy the ram, PSU and motherboard from Newegg because even with additional shipping costs i could still save approx. $150 by buying it from them

6. What do you think about this build??? Any changes you would make???

I'm completely new, so any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

Edited by bf825, 02 September 2014 - 03:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:47 PM

1. yes. parts are compatible

2. i wouldnt pick a 780 from gigabyte anyway, i would rather get the EVGA SC ACX which has the highest boost clock among all the GTX 780s. The CM case would fit the 780 but i wont recommend spending that much cash on a case for a starting build.

3. before investing on case fans, prioiritize on getting an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, CM Hyper 212 evo is the best for starters.

4. pick your preference, some work better with win 8 while others dont. research whether the apps/games youre planning to use have issues with the OS, but for me, win 7 64 bit would do just fine.

5 and 6 below

CPU- CG rendering? I suggest you get an unlocked CPU and an overclocking board.

RAM - make sure that its the 2x8 and at least 1600. corsair or gskill dont matter, pick the cheaper one.

Motherboard - MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte are the top board manufacturers, why get the asrock?

HDD - from the reviews that i read, Seagates has higher failure rates than WD, i suggest the WD Caviar blue.

PSU - AX series is a bit overkill, RM series would do fine, but if you want the platinum (versus the RM's gold) certification, stick with the AX . although if i were you i would get an RM and use the saved cash on other parts as PSUs has generally no performance bearing aside from power consumption efficiency.

Case - If you could get a 300r from corsair please do so, its 100$ cheaper which again, could be used on other parts. it is so much easier to upgrade your case later rather than upgrading your other hardware.

Monitors - i prefer TN ones, but i dont do CG editing so pick your preference.

Mice, keyboard, speakers, kitchen knives... these are all on your personal preference.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#3 bf825

bf825
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for the help Zerue,

Very detailed and Very helpful,

I'll look into what you suggested

Thanks

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

I would recommend doing 2x GTX 770s instead of the 780, and if you do plan to overclock you will need the i7-4790K as well as an aftermarket CPU cooler. You could also save quite a bit on the PSU by getting a 750W gold certified one.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

I would recommend doing 2x GTX 770s instead of the 780, and if you do plan to overclock you will need the i7-4790K as well as an aftermarket CPU cooler. You could also save quite a bit on the PSU by getting a 750W gold certified one.

2 770s instead of a 780? Why?

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Better performance, unless OP plans on gaming at a resolution higher than 1080p. It's a little bit more money but better gains in performance and I think it is worth it.

-Jaime Lannister

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Better performance, unless OP plans on gaming at a resolution higher than 1080p. It's a little bit more money but better gains in performance and I think it is worth it.

By going SLI you will be sacrificing your reliability as some applications do not utilize SLI. 

You are also sacrificing upgradeability of our GPU. It is much easier to buy a 780 now and get a higher tier card (or another 780) later on, than being stuck with two 770s now.

Not to mention it is going to be more pricey when a single 780 would get the job done.

Single card beats SLI/Crossfire most of the time. Remember that everytime you add another gpu to your system, you lose about 10-20% of the full potential of that card. 

#8 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

By going SLI you will be sacrificing your reliability as some applications do not utilize SLI. 

You are also sacrificing upgradeability of our GPU. It is much easier to buy a 780 now and get a higher tier card (or another 780) later on, than being stuck with two 770s now.

Not to mention it is going to be more pricey when a single 780 would get the job done.

Single card beats SLI/Crossfire most of the time. Remember that everytime you add another gpu to your system, you lose about 10-20% of the full potential of that card. 

I have to disagree with single cards beating SLI/XF, it would be cheaper to get the 780, but I really think that either that or the 2 770s would be more than enough for what OP wants.

-Jaime Lannister

#9 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Look it up, single card config scales better than dual card (and so forth). Getting a solid high grade card is also good for the budget in the long run. The only reason i would recommend an SLI/Crossfire is when you have reached the highest possible tier of that card or if you are really in a tight budget. Which is not the case here.

Please consider these issues before suggesting an SLI next time.

1. Two video cards sitting closely together in your case will draw more power, produce more heat, and produce more noise. If you're concerned about any of those things, SLI and Crossfire may not be for you.

2. Like I said earlier, not all games utilize SLI and Crossfire. This depends on your video driver, not the game itself. NVIDIA and AMD often update their drivers to include multi-GPU support for new games, but if one of your games isn't supported, you'll either have to deal with one GPU or tinker with your driver settings to get the game working yourself.

3. SLI and Crossfire can sometimes cause a phenomenon called micro stuttering that makes the video look a tad choppy. It can be particularly aggravating to some people, especially at lower framerates.

4. It will use up more power and will require a higher watt PSU.

5. Upgrades. Like I said earlier, by buying 2 cards, you will be stuck with 2 mid range cards most of the time. I think it is easier to just add another 780 if you need it or sell your 780 and get an even better card. 

Get your facts straight first. These might point you in the right direction.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?6520-To-SLI-or-not-to-SLI

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1859-when-to-crossfiresli/

#10 bf825

bf825
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the help,

I think i'll stick with one 780 just cause its simpler for me as a first time builder and I really only want one 1080p monitor.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

I wouldn't overclock unless you actually want to deal with that.

I don't think any real PC gamer should be using wi-fi, so if at all possible try to be wired.

I'd add a large green drive to the build for storage - but you can always do that later.

Consider a UPS.

#12 jasmeencress

jasmeencress

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

The beauty of gaming PCs is in that you can put up something totally unique and will keep on upgrading as you get more money. If it is your first venture, consider going through this to get an idea of the components you should emphasize on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users