Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motion detection software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hi all, I recently brought a security camera (Wanscam JW0011 Outdoor)

Turns out it only has a 3 metre limit on the motion detection, I expected any movement within it's view (at least 20 metres) would trigger the motion sensor. But not the case.

So what I would like is a third party program with motion detection, which I'm guessing is more software based and will look at the video stream looking for movement (hopefully giving it a 10m range or so), compared to the JW0011 camera itself which doesn't require any connection to a PC so I'm guessing that's why the distance is so limited.

One problem may be there is no physical connection from the camera to the PC, only a wireless connection.

But there are some additional features I would like to keep, this currently can be done by the JW0011 with just the smartphone app, or with this PC software.

View live feed via smart phone

Instant alert to smart phone (or email) when motion is detected.

Save video, or photos for "xx" time when motion is detected, either direct to PC or VIA FTP to PC or drop box.

Does anyone know a program capable of all this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

Have been doing some googling and have found one called "Ispy" I will download it shortly to test.

Edited by cooldudenz, 01 September 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Make sure to scan the program heavily with your anti-virus before running it. Also do some googling and see if there have been many people with bad experience of the website (i don't know what site that is, or anything about this piece of software in particular) , this site https://www.mywot.com/en/aboutus   also helps. copy the download page's URL into the box currently showing "example.com" and then scroll down to "user reviews" click on "agrees" to see the worst people had to say about it. If the worst people had to say was "the interface was ugly" that is one indicator the software should be safe, but still not enough to he sure. If you choose to download it make sure  to SAVE, NOT RUN     the exe file. go to

I don't know if the software will help you with detecting motion automatically at long range, part of me wonders if it might not be better to (very carefully) tweak the camera hardware. If you can work out exactly what does what, and can be sure your understanding of how the inbuilt motion sensing is correct then you might be able to boost the range of the sensing. But make sure you don't wreck the camera in trying.

p.s. the fact it detects at so much shorter a range than it sees at makes me suspect the inbuilt motion sensing might be done with a separate motion sensor( some sort of infrared working on a radar like principle) rather than a function in the camera which analyses the footage as it is taken.

Edited by rp88, 02 September 2014 - 05:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi rp88, I do save and scan everything before opening.

I wont go tweaking the camera lol I guarantee I'll break it, I would agree that must be a build in hardware based motion sensor, as it requires no connection to a PC it would have to be hardware based.

That Ispy software looks really good, it only gives you the basics for free so you have to pay for remote view ect, which I don't mind if it's good software. However I couldn't get it to work, the setup was to complicated for me needing to stream via VLC, needed a URL to the camera for some reason, I had IP which I tried as the URL but that didn't work. If you can get it working I think it would be a great program.

However I have now uninstalled it.

Tried another one now called "ZoneTrigger" which looks really good. It is detecting movement at least 10 - 15m away using it's "hotspot" method, you place and size a circle, or number of circles on the video feed and set the level of sensitivity for each, it just looks at those spots for movement.

It takes a photo each time movement is detected, and uploads it to my PC, but it doesn't appear to have a live feed function from smartphone. You can get a live feed over the net (with the paid version) so maybe my phones browser will work with it. It will also email the photo so at least I can use that as notification to my phone.

Will play with it some more after work and maybe purchase.

#5 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

If you have a linux computer, the best software for managing security cams is called ZoneMinder, which does all the things that ZoneTrigger seems to be able to do for free.  It is my personal software of choice for when I will be installing cameras.

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, but I am winning Windows 7.

I haven't yet decided if I'll buy Zonetrigger, so far I haven't setup any notifications to my phone but I can for free setup an email alart, expect if it detects anyone it will take 10 - 20 photos so I'd get bombarded with emails, but it appears to be the only free way of notification with zonetrigger.

Otherwise I have asked my works IT guy if he can install dropbox on my machine, at least then I can check the shared folder for any uploads. But I look though the footage when I get home each day so it's satisfactory. So far no more nosy salesmen poking around my back yard...

#7 drsamir77

drsamir77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

hi i have configured my wanscam for motion detection, but it only detects if we are near to them like less than 2 cm only. is there anyways we can increase motion detection distance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users