Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program window problems - Please help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 deltaXkila

deltaXkila

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

I've noticed for a few weeks now that my internet browser stops working for a few seconds before suddenly responding once again; the program doesn't crash, it's as if I clicked outside the window and clicked right back into it.

Now, this wouldn't be a big problem until today. It started doing this to my game windows. In windowed mode, the game would stop responding to any movement for a few seconds, and the top was faded out as if I clicked somewhere else. before filling up with color and responding again. In fullscreen mode, the game window minimizes on me! The game sounds still play and the game goes on without any response, and I can't see a bloody thing until I manually bring the window back into view.

Any help here? This is a severe annoyance, and I can't take it while I'm playing a frustrating game.

I run Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

1. Run your AV scans. If they come up clean ...

2. Snooze or disable your AV and test for the symptoms again.

let us know

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

How are you connected to the internet?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 deltaXkila

deltaXkila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

How are you connected to the internet?

I can connect just fine. The browser just seems to tab out for a second before seemingly tabbing back into the window. It does not close the window, just makes it inactive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

I didn't ask if you could connect, I asked how you are connected.  Ex: Ether net to router, wifi to router, either of these to a modem...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 deltaXkila

deltaXkila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

I didn't ask if you could connect, I asked how you are connected.  Ex: Ether net to router, wifi to router, either of these to a modem...

Ohhhh, misunderstood.
I'm connected from modem to router via Ethernet cable, and Ethernet cable from router to PC.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

If this is happening as sporadically as you have described this could be difficult to pin down.  

Is is possible for you to connect directly to the modem to see if the router is dropping out?

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

You do not have symptoms of a bandwidth problems.

There could be a zillion reasons why it is comporting itself that way and the only way to get it resolved is to go through all the standard steps, one by one.

ie: Scanning with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. and stopping tons of processes from running unnecessarily in the background, from the startup tab in the Task Manager, as well as in Services.

There's more to a tweak than just that, but it should be ample to get you up and running properly again and it'll be up to you if you'd like some more tweak suggestions.

If the steps above do not help the situation, then there will be other procedures to follow, but the odds are you'll be OK after those two scans and getting unwanted processes from running in the background.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

This is a connectivity issue, not malware or spyware.

Because you still reconnect to previously established connections this suggests a problem with DNS, your router may be intercepting DNS requests.  This can be substantiated by connecting the computer directly to the modem.

#10 deltaXkila

deltaXkila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

I can't plug directly into the modem and connect to the Internet (the modem only has one Ethernet port, so the router is completely left out.) While fiddling with the cables, though, I found that the one plugged into my computer is missing it's latch.
I use a Belkin router (N600 D8 model) and a Motorola modem (SURFboard model).

#11 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

Ahem... that's what we are trying to accomplish... removing the router from the signal path.

The coax (the threaded cable) provides the input to the modem from the ISP.

The Ethernet port allows you to send the signal to the router for further distribution to other devices.

By plugging the Ethernet cable from your PC directly into the modem RJ45 jack, we remove the router from the equation.

By doing this we will find out if the router is messing up the DNS. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Just connect a Ethernet cable between the computer and the modem.  If the problem does not persist the problem will be with the router.

If the problem does seem to be in the router, then look for a router feature called "DNS Relay" and turn it off. After making that change, another reboot of your computer to update DHCP settings will be needed.

#13 deltaXkila

deltaXkila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Wow, dead topic has been dead.
Anyway, I have an update: My service provider shipped me a new modem with wifi capabilities, so I cut out the router altogether. Since then, I've had no window problems. However, a new issue has arrived: for some odd reason, I'll try to open a program and won't show up. The PC tells me the program is already running if I try again. Opening up Task Manager fails as well, and I can't even shut down normally because the start menu on the desktop won't pop open. I have to manually shut off by holding in the power button.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

I would suggest starting a new topic regarding this new problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users