Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first time building pc advice needed!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robosaur123

robosaur123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

ok so i want to build my first pc primarily for gaming and these are the parts i have gotten so far. I am pretty sure everything will work together just double checking i would just like some advice or recommendations from people who have more experience since Im fairly new at this. i would really appreciate it 

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 GAMING ITX 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R (Red)

WD SE WD2000F9YZ 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and USB 3.0 Ports

CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th ...

Edited by robosaur123, 01 September 2014 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

It'll work, its all compatible.  Is this stuff you already own, or just a shopping list?  One observation I have is that you are using a expensive 'enthusiast' motherboard with lots of overclocking features, but you are using a locked i5-4570 CPU.  Is there any specific features on this board you need?  Personally I would either get a cheaper board if you aren't intending to overclock with it, or spend the extra (approx $40) for an unlocked i5-4690K which will allow you to overclock if you wanted to do so in future.  You'd also need an upgraded cooling system if you did want to overclock the CPU.

Also the HDD is quite an expensive 2Tb "enterprise" model.  This is fine, but for ultimate performance on a single user PC, an SSD system drive and lower cost storage drive would be better in the $/performance stakes.

All in all though, it looks pretty decent.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 robosaur123

robosaur123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

No this is just all shopping list i did today and i just wanted to make a good gaming pc. Which motherboard would you recommend since im still new at this I don't think i want to start overclocking yet i guess i got a little over excited lol. im confused on the ssd system drive you're recommending arent those like 250gb for the same price as the 2TB HDD? Thanks i appreciate it.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

The performance difference between an SSD and a HDD is large, so it's definitely a nice to have feature.  It costs a bit more but I think most people who have used them will say it's worth the extra (I certainly would).  As their storage capacity is lower, it's good to get a normal HDD to fill this role.  The OS and programs will run off the SSD, but you use the HDD for bulk storage like docs, music, videos or very large games.

2 Tb WD Enterprise HDD $134.99

vs.

Example SSD setup

256 Gb Samsung 840 Evo - $118.99

1 Tb WD Blue - $59.99 @ Newegg

For the motherboard, I would take a look at the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 board.  It's not a low end board by any means but comes in at about $70 less than the Asus board (which could be used towards the SSD setup). It's got plenty of "gaming" features (for example Killer network chip and uprated on-board audio) and supports a future upgrade to SLI if required.  It's got a decent review here.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 robosaur123

robosaur123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Oh ok I never thought of using the HDD and SSD together like that. Thanks!

#6 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

wait OP, did you just pick an overclocking board and a non unlocked CPU?

If i were you, i would ditch the maximus and get an unlocked CPU and a cheaper board, 

you might also want to get a higher tier card, a GTX 770 from EVGA would be a lot beefier. 760s are decent but if you want to get better performance for your buck, i would recommend a 770. if you plan to stick to the 760 get the ASUS DCU, you wont even notice that it is working because of how quiet their fans are. they also have great cooling pipes.

get an aftermarket cooler, CM hyper 212 evo is great but wont hurt your budget.

as the previous poster mentioned, get an ssd. even a lower capacity one is on a whole different level when it comes to speed.

also the PSU CX series is great, but i would personally get an RM series instead. Both are from corsair.

Edit : do you really need the haf x? if you want more perforamance, you could choose a cheaper case and use the saved cash on your other parts. 200r and 300r cases from corsair are good alternatives,

RAM could be just 1600 (not 1866), the difference is negligible and you will also save a couple of bucks from that as well. gskill ripjaws x is another alternative.

Edited by Zerue, 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#7 robosaur123

robosaur123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yea I realized I made a mistake on the motherboard and chose a different one since I don't plan on overclocking. Oh and the case I just threw in there to estimate max cost  im going to pick out a way cheaper one lol!  as for the psu cx, cooler and ram I'm definitely going to check it out! Thanks I really appreciate it!

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Careful not to go too too cheap on the case though. A lousy and/or cramped case can make your first build a nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users