Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safesear.ch in FireFox, can't get rid of it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Norm@Home

Norm@Home

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

I've been try to help out a friend who's running Windows 7 and FireFox and somehow managed to get the Safesear.ch browser hijacker installed. He's been running the most current version of Eset EndPoint anti-virus and I've done scans with Eset, Malwarebytes, MBAR, Spybot 2.4, TFC, Junkware Removal Tool etc and the browser is now working normally and there are no more search redirects and it now scans clean with all tools and I've tried resetting FireFox to it's default settings (Help / Troubleshooting / Reset) and still when the browser starts instead of going to the default homepage set in Tools / Options / Homepage it's still going to SafeSear.ch, I've also looked at about:config and there are no references to Safesear.cn.

Btw, I've also searched the registry and haven't found any reference to "Safesear.cn".

Any ideas how to fix this home page problem?

- Norm

Edited by Norm@Home, 01 September 2014 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

If resetting Firefox to all defaults does not resolve the problem you can try removing your user profile and perform a clean Unininstall/Reinstall of Firefox.

1. Uninstall Firefox via Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then reboot.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Uninstalling Firefox with the default options does not remove your user profile, which includes personal information such as bookmarks, passwords and cookies. If you also want to remove this information, you should remove the folder that contains your Firefox profile, which is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program.

Uninstalling Firefox

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Removing user profile data

Note: You can try this...Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles. However, if the problem returns, you will have to go through the process again but skip that part.

2. Delete all of the following folders if they exist:

Windows 7:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Note:
%AppData%\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.

-- If you cannot find some of the folder(s), you may have to reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders.

3. Reboot and reinstall Firefox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 geekyogi

geekyogi

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

It can be fixed easily , uninstall the firefox and reboot the computer again download and install that , if that doesn't work then we have to make changes in registry

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

It can be fixed easily , uninstall the firefox and reboot the computer again download and install that , if that doesn't work then we have to make changes in registry

I have already provided specific instructions for performing a clean Uninstall/Reinstall of Firefox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users