Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Bleeping to Working-- Wifey's gonna HUBBA HUBBA!!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Des_Torres

Des_Torres

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yowzers!

It's Labor Day here in Canada (ok... I could spell it 'Labour' and stuff, but hey, I grew up in the States).

Right now, it's 3:52 PM and I just received a humongous wet an' sloppy smackeroo from the wife. 

Yesterday, her Acer netbook went wonky. Yeah, I know, such a tech term. Okay... it was FUBAR. 

Anyway- it would boot and then hang up after 2:00 minutes. I ruled out hardware b/c it ran decently in Safe. (Okay, not a TOTAL ruleout, but I had to start somewhere).

Long story short, I started at 10:00 AM, reading this site. I've been here before a bunch of times, sort of drivebys for advice, but today I did a L O T of reading. 

Wanted to play golf, but y'know... wife brownie points are better!

So....

The fix was that I d/l autorun.exe onto a SD card, put her netbook into safe mode and clicked on a few boxes. My hint was that when I tried to run a scan in Safe using Norton, it froze at start up (and their website said that it was a snap to run a scan in Safe). 

Turned off autoboot for Norton 360 and voila!

I've since uninstalled the program (can I get my 60 bucks back? Yeah... right...) and after checking her pc, it's working fine. 

I'll grab the stuff that's recommended here for protection, and that'll be that.

Hey, it's only 4PM...

maybe I can get 9 holes in....

Or maybe I'll start collecting on brownie points.....

"Hey honey.... your miniskirt's callin' youuuuuU!!!!!!"

Thanks for putting up such a helpful site. She was worried she was going to have to either buy a new netbook (and she's XP all the way) or else format/reinstall.

You guys made me look like I knew what I was doin'.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

...Turned off autoboot for Norton 360 and voila!

I've since uninstalled the program (can I get my 60 bucks back? Yeah... right...) and after checking her pc, it's working fine. 

I'll grab the stuff that's recommended here for protection, and that'll be that....

Welcome to BC Des_Torres! I agree 100% this place is the BEST-- right alongside sevenforums.com IMHO, I call them #1 & #1a :)

Just a word of advice, IME removing Norton products thru control panel doesn't always dig deep enough into the bowels of the OS where Norton likes to nest itself which sometimes comes back to cause conflict with any number of programs/functions. If you haven't done so already I would run the Norton Removal Tool which digs a little deeper.

YMMV, HTH.

>>>"Hey honey.... your miniskirt's callin' youuuuuU!!!!!!"<<< :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users