Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get rid of the Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cmj25

cmj25

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hi, I'm writing in because I am having trouble with a computer I've acquired from my mother. I was in the process of cleaning everything off of the computer and I uninstalled a few programs. Apparently I may have made a mistake and uninstalled something that I should not have. I now have the blue screen of death and cannot get rid of it. I have attached a photo of the screen that I am getting when I try and start up. I've tried booting up in Safe Mode, but it only goes back to the blue screen, or the screen just goes black, with nothing happening. The computer operates a 32-bit version of Windows Vista. Other than the uninstalling of some of the programs, there have not been any other hardware/software changes made to the computer. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I left out important information.

Cuentin

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

It will be difficult to find the exact issue if you can't get into Safe Mode. Were you able to reach the Advanced Boot Options screen (shown below), or did it crash before you could access the screen?

windows-advanced-boot-options.png

-- Matt

#3 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I'm able to reach that screen. However, from that screen, which ever of those options I choose, whether its one of the safe modes or "Last Known Good Configuration" it either reverts back to the blue screen or just goes to a blank black screen.

Cuentin

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Because Safe Mode only loads 'essential' drivers and files, something 'important' to Windows must be missing/corrupt/etc. You will need a Windows Vista install or recovery disk to run the tools needed to repair the Windows installation. Do you have one? If not, you can either try to get one from the manufacturer of the computer (Dell, HP, etc.) or you can legally download the installation files from Digital River, one of Microsoft's official distributors. Let me know if you need any assistance!

Also, sometimes malware can infect system files, which can prevent you from booting into Safe Mode. If you can't get the computer to boot after trying the standard fixes, you should post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs subforum.

Edited by kokomodrums, 01 September 2014 - 03:12 PM.

-- Matt

#5 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Could this possibly be it?

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Were you trying to attach an image? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

-- Matt

#7 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

My apologies, yes I was trying to attach an image but I'm unable to do so. It's a disc titled Drivers and Utilities. It states, "Dell Dimension ResourceCD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities, and Online Documentation.  I'm not sure if that's the right disc, but just thought I'd check.

#8 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

That appears to just have the device drivers, the correct disk should say something like "Reinstallation CD for Windows Vista" or "Operating System". Can you find any other disks?

-- Matt

#9 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

It appears that my mother has misplaced this disc.  Looks like I'll have to try and download from Digital Rivers.

#10 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

By any chance, do you know of a link I can follow to download to disc?

#11 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Here is an article that lists the links to the Digital River downloads - http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

You have to download all three files for the version specified. They are large files and will take quite awhile to download, especially on a slow internet connection. Once the files have downloaded, here is an article that explains how to burn them to a DVD or USB stick - http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/301852-vista-iso-download-create-installation-dvd-usb.html

ImgBurn is a very popular free ISO burning utility and is widely trusted. The WBICreator program is not a popular, trusted program, but I have scanned it with Virus Total and it came back 100% clean (here is the Virus Total log if you're interested: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/dcf21a7f62c3709e0ddc5012b1d46c223137d90da6ac95546e27f2babab0eb0c/analysis/)

Edited by kokomodrums, 01 September 2014 - 06:55 PM.

-- Matt

#12 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks a lot. I will let you know when I have it burned to disk

#13 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hey Matt, I think I've successfully copied Windows Vista to disk. Can you suggest what I should do now?

#14 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I don't suppose you can access the dump files?

0xF4s means a critical process in Windows has been terminated and therefore can no longer function hence the crash.

This is normally caused by a disk failure.

Can you run Seatools DOS to test your drive?

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

You may have somehow corrupted the system by deleting a critical process although I don't know how you've done that to be honest.

If that's the case then you need to reinstall.

#15 cmj25

cmj25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi Jared, thanks for the response. I was able to reinstall using the disc that I burned from the site that Matt suggested to me. Everything seems to be working fine. On another note, I'm not sure if this is something you can advise on, but do you know if it's possible to upgrade from 32-bit Windows Vista to 64-bit Windows 7?

Again, thanks for the response.

Cuentin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users