Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exclamation Point on some Icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi I'm Jespinosa101,

I was just wondering if there are supposed to be exclamation points on some icons. The icons with exclamation points are 2 of my word documents saved on my desktop, RogueKiller, Security Check, Adwcleaner, and tdsskiler.exe. Oh and also some icons started to pop up on my PC's desktop like homegroup is that also supposed to happen?

Thanks in Advance,

Jespinosa101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

This appears to be related to the McAfee Online Backup program. The icon means that the files have not been backed up. Do you use the McAfee Backup program? If not, I can assist you with uninstalling it.

-- Matt

#3 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I do not know if I use the backup program but I do have Mcafee as my anti virus also what about some random icons popping up like homegroup on my desktop?

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Homegroup is a utility that comes with Windows that allows you to easily connect computers running Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to each other in a home network. It is not unusual to see the icon appear on your desktop, especially if you have changed any network settings recently. It is safe to delete the icon from your desktop, as it is just a shortcut.

-- Matt

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

If you didn't create a Homegroup or aren't connected to any Homegroup there's a long thead about the Homegroup icon which suddenly appeared and cannot be deleted.  Please read the thread here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/unable-to-remove-homegroup-icon/699c4550-c88e-4e0c-b30c-339ca25e52f8?page=1&tm=1409600708662

This happened to me too.  Please DO NOT delete the registry key described in the thread as it's required to be able to change your account picture.  It would much safer to try the "Folder Options" solution.  However, be warned that the Homegroup icon has a way of coming back even after applying this solution.  You may have to do it a few times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users