Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Hardware - Nec Dvdrw Nd-2500a

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:18 AM

This is a bit of a saga, but I really need some help with this one. On Sunday night I used my CD Writer with no problem - on Monday night it was a 'Device Not Found' Windows has installed the drivers for this device but the device is not found. Code 41.

I ran a virus scan which came up clean. A Spybot scan reported that the registry setting for antivirus override had been altered. On checking HKLM\Software\MS\Security Centre\AntiVirus override=dword:(1). I allowed Spybot to 'Fix Selected Problems' and the parameter is now (0) which I assume is correct.

In Device Manager the Writer is showing with a yellow exclamation mark. I've uninstalled and rebooted three times now, the 'Found New Hardware' balloon shows for a few seconds and then disappears with no sign of Drive D: in My Computer. Same result when trying a Driver Update.

Everest shows the device.

A System Restore to Sunday night did not work.

I have carried out the procedure recommended by MS for Code 41 with no result. Checked for updates and downloaded KB891122 (Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players) and KB909993(Windows Media Connect 2.0).

I should mention that my PC has just been returned from the repair shop due to a HDD problem causing a corrupt or missing boot.ini file. From the report issued, I'm assuming that most of my data was removed and a reinstall of the OS done and my data returned. I do know that My Documents directory is a complete shambles and I want to backup my data and do a Smart Restore to factory specs. This is not possible of course until I can get this writer working.

The only thing I haven't done yet is take the case off and check the physical connections but I figured that these should be OK as it is in Device Manager and also shown by Everest.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 06 June 2006 - 05:24 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hi rowal5555
Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Delete any "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" values from that key and reboot.
You "may" need to re-install your burning software if you lose some functionality with it.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hi HitSquad

You are definitely on my Christmas card list from now on.

Thanks a lot. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

You're welcome rowal5555. Always glad to help out. :thumbsup:

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:48 AM

For curiousity's sake, can you tell me what might have caused this.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

"Most likely" Roxio software if you have\had it, though it's not alone.

Edited by HitSquad, 07 June 2006 - 07:51 AM.

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:28 AM

Still having trouble with this.

Just tried to transfer a system backup to CDs - CD Writing Wizard says 'No disk in device' when there is a new Sony CD-R inserted, and Sonic Record Now (preinstalled software) says there is no compatible device.

Checked the registry entries again but nothing appears to have changed. Any Clues??????

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

Try cleaning the optical drive's lens. A cleaning disc can be bought inexpensively at Radio Shack, Walmart or a computer store.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

Thanks pascor. Bought a set of head cleaning gear on my way home tonight and have just used it with no good result. I have no problem with playing, but when I try to write, the Wizard still says 'There is no writable disc inserted.'

Anyone have any ideas???

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

It sounds like your optical drive is fried. The good news is that a brand new fast DVD/CD writer can be be bought for about $40US and shipped to your door. I will assume that you can open up your case and use a Phillips screwdriver to take the old drive out and install a new drive. Also, look at the jumper diagram on the old drive and determine whether it is set up to be a Master or a Slave and set the new drive to be the same. Hooke up the cables in the same way.

NEC 3550A Black

NEC 3550A Beige

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

[
[[

Group: BC Advisor
Member No.: 58911

Hi rowal5555, HitSquad (mike) here.
In my original reply I did state that you may lose some functionality in your burning software and that it may need to be re-installed. You did not state in any of your replies wether or not that was done.
If this is not possible without a complete system restore or did not work, download and install "DeepBurner Free" by Astonsoft.
The free version does not have a system backup feature but will let you burn data cd\dvd's as well as audio. It'll give you a better idea of were the problem is.
If you cannot burn with DeepBurner Free, before you chuck the drive, there are still a couple things you can try.
1. Upgrade Firmware for the drive. This will be located on the drive manufacturers website. It will be model specific.
2. Install the drive in another system for testing only. I realize that many people do not own two or more systems but if you have a friend who wouldn't mind, it only takes a few minutes and will give you a definitive answer.
I am not so quick to condemn hardware as some others may be and there is a proper testing procedure for every piece of computer hardware.
I'm out of town for a couple weeks and unable to post on the boards due to time restraints. I do check my mail every morning though so I'm only replying to you via PM for now. When you get the problem nailed, please post back with your solution in your original thread so that others who visit can use it.
Good luck.]]

Hi. Thanks for taking the time during your busy schedule. Before asking for further help:-

I did reinstall the Sonic Record Now software with no good result.

I was up till 5am the other night trying to upgrade the firmware - found the site and model OK, printed off the instructions so I wouldn't stuff it up, but there was no file there to download and install. Had a bit of sleep and then went and bought a new Samsung which is still sitting here. (I'm a cranky sort of bloke and hate to give up on something if it can be fixed.)

I am not able to swap the drive to another machine for checking. If I take it out, I'll just put the new one in but, the new machine has the following Nero software - Express6, InCD4, VisionExpress, Showtime, BackITup, and Recode, so I am going to install that now and, hopefully, that should should see if it is a software problem.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:42 AM

No good news to report I'm afraid. Installed the Nero software but it still could not Write to disk so Have installed the new burner.

Thanks to all for your replies

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users