Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ant on Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DianneH

DianneH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hello,

I hope someone can please tell me that my iMac is not infected.  Good grief!

I have one little ant crawling around on/in the screen.  I just noticed it today.  I don't know if it's a real ant (how would it have gotten in there) or if it some virus crawling around inside my computer.

Is there a virus going around that can infect the iMac?  I thought Mac's were pretty safe.  I do all of my secure transactions on my Mac and don't need this computer to be infected too. (Had horrible issues with my Dell a while back).

Help!  

Thanks,

Dianne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Does it look something like this. If it does, see if setting a different wallpaper helps.

#3 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have seen a few articles online of people with iMacs who have gotten actual ants under their screen, so it is definitely a possibility. Otherwise it could be a "joke" app, try opening your Applications folder and looking for any Apps that you don't recognize.

It could also be a wallpaper, as John mentioned. Unfortunately, if it is a real ant, you will either have to wait for it to "crawl out" or take your computer to a technician to remove the screen and, well, remove the ant.

Edited by kokomodrums, 01 September 2014 - 01:25 PM.

-- Matt

#4 staygold512

staygold512

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Boot to Safe Mode and see if it is happening there.  To do that shutdown, then hold down the shift key and power on, release shift key when you see the Apple logo. You will know you timed it right if you see a progress bar underneath the Apple logo. 

Safe Mode will rule out 3rd party Applications, you could also see if it's happening in another user account. 

#5 Viking Drive

Viking Drive

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Dianne, don't use your iMac while eating chocolate chips.

#6 HackedBotato

HackedBotato

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

Open "Force Quit" with Option, Command, and Escape. Close all programs open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users