Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rollback Rx PC - Anyone use this Recovery product?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

While reading another thread in the forum, I saw a link that quietman7 provided regarding a PC backup discussion.

Does anyone here use this backup product?   Rollback Rx PC

It looks interesting.  Although I'm Cloning and Imaging periodically, this product somewhat reminds me of a Raid 1 setup in that it's a near-real time snapshot-recovery option for PC's.

From reading the product info, I'm not sure how this product works in the event of an OS crash/wipe.  I'm guessing here but it seems that the product modifies the Master Boot Code, or perhaps similar, in that it adds a Rollback option into the Windows "safe/repair" boot option menu.

After watching the product video provided at the home site link, it's saying that Rollback boots before Windows.  I'm assuming that, when the product is installed, it's creating some kind of boot manager sector area to allow the PC user to recover in the event of an unbootable Windows OS.

If that's the correct assumption, and I haven't seen a mention of a "Rescue" boot media associated with the product description, if the user's HDD is rendered unusable by either a difficult rootkit intrusion, or other reasons, Rollback wouldn't be a viable alternative to a full-HDD backup option (cloned spare, Image).

Is that the right take on this product and how it works on the HDD?

As I see this, the advantage of using Rollback is that you can access multiple near-real time snapshots which is almost as good as a Raid 1 configuration. 

The drawback about this, if I understand the product's operation, is that if the HDD isn't usable or accessable for any reason, Rollback won't provide a complete HDD recovery option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users