Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2013 Issues: Open File; Save As; One Drive, etc.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hello. I recently switched to Word 2013. It's taking some getting used to.

In prior versions of Word when I would "save as" or "open" I would get a folder list. If it were the first time since I had opened the program it would be my default setting: in my case, "My Documents." If I had opened a document and tried to "save as" it would show the most recent folder I had opened.

In Word 2013 instead of a folder list I get a list of recent documents. I also get a choice of Recent Documents, One Drive, Computer and Add a Place. This requires that I go through extra clicks to get to the proper folder. Is there a way to switch to a folder view?

By the way, what is this One Drive business?

Do I need to Add a Place each time I open a folder?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

You can select a default folder to save to, or set the default to Computer, and then navigate to the folder you want to save to -- File>Options>Save, check Save to Computer by default. You can select your default folder here as well.

When Saving As, you should be seeing a list of recent folders you've saved to, to the right of the OneDrive and Computer options.

If you have an outlook.com, live.com or hotmail.com email address, you can download the OneDrive application to your desktop and use it to save and sync files and folders to storage in the cloud. If you don't have email accounts with any of those, you can ignore the OneDrive option.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. What is One Drive? What does it do?

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hello there,

One Drive is a file hosting service that allows users to upload and sync files to a cloud storage and then access them from a Web browser or their local device. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/onedrive/windows-app-faq#1TC=other

Hope this helps!

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

That is correct. There is also a client application you can install on your PC that essentially creates a mapped network drive. It will add a folder that appears in Windows Explorer, alongside the ones for Documents, your C drive, etc.
Files saved to OneDrive in a browser will sync to your computer whenever you boot up your PC. Files saved to the OneDrive folder on the PC are uploaded to the cloud.
The idea is you can save and work on files locally when on your PC, and save and work on them through a browser when you are somewhere else and need access to them.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users