Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Murasame

Murasame

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:03 AM

Recently, I'm having problems with internet connections on my notebook. I've tried several ways to solve the problem but to no avail. Could anyone give some guidance on how to eradicate this problem? Thanks!

Methods used:
Restarting the broadband modem and cable router physically, switching both off and on again.

Toggling with internet connection properties. Control panel=>internet options=>connections=>lan settings=> switching between the three options from time to time.

Problems faced: I stay connected to the internet for variable periods of time, and the connection will be inactive after some time. When it is inactive, I use the first method. If connection doesnt re-establish, I use the second method or a combination of both methods. I do not have this problem in the past. The internet speed slows down after some time of use, thereafter I have to repeat the steps to establish connection again. This problem occurred recently only for a time span of 1 month.

Both my desktop and notebook are connected to the router. This problem does not occur on my desktop.

Router: Netgear cable/DSL web safe router gateway RP614
Connection: Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection satellite M30 notebook

Edited by Murasame, 06 June 2006 - 05:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

well if you connect to the router using both computers, one works the way it should, the other dosent, your problem likely lies within the computer(laptop). under the connection options in internet options, all 3 should be blank. you dont use a proxy, leave the settings alone. so no checkmarks there. you should try a winsock fix here is the link http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

or if that dosent work after trying all the other options, try uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them.

if still no joy, post back a response and let us know how you are doing.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

Thank you for your advice!
I unchecked all the boxes as stated, downloaded and ran winsock XP fix. I'll see how it goes and hopefully the problem is solved. I thank you once again for your help :thumbsup:

#4 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:57 AM

Unfortunately, the problem still exist. A very good example would be when I'm playing warcraft III online on battlenet server, my screen will freeze, meaning that I'm 'lagging'. When I alt-tabbed out and try to go internet, true enough the webpage didnt load.
Also if I unplug and replug the cable, the internet speed will be slower compared to the internet speed after the resetting of the router and modem.

How do I go about uninstalling drivers? Uninstalling the drivers would mean uninstalling the connection device on my notebook? If the uninstallation crops up will I be able to reset to the settings before the uninstallation using system restore?

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

next time you experience connection issues, shut down one of the computers after everything is reset, and try again. maybe you should look at the router as a culprit. a firmware upgrade wouldnt hurt, at least check it, need help there, post back with your make and model number of router.

#6 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

Hmmm...thats a good point there
I updated the firmware version of my router and the speed seems to be faster now lol
Thanks for your tips!

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

excellent!! glad we could help. did it also solve yhour connection issues?

#8 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

Yeap...somehow. :thumbsup: No more frequent disconnections from the internet and the speed is quite consistent.
However, its still quite laggy. I experience intermittent lags when i play warcraft III using hamachi, probably due to the downloading on my desktop which my brother is using and the recent worldcup fever that is taking up a lot of bandwidth in the flat i'm staying in :flowers:

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

oh for sure, playing your game dosent require much bandwidth, but it will sure as heck affect your ping, which will result in lag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users